Using a bowl gouge - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

View gfeni's Photo Album My Photos
Using a bowl gouge

I am having a lot of trouble with bowl gouges, GOUGING! Can someone explain the proper use and handeling of a bowl gouge or where I can learn how to use one properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to describe in words. It's called rubbing the bevel and not using an unsupported cutting edge. The bottom of the tool where you grind it to sharpen is called the bevel. You should always start a cut buy placing the tool on the wood at such an angle that the bevel is touching the wood but the cutting edge isn't. Then move the tool handle until the cutting edge starts making a cut. This gives you control of the cut.
An unusupported edge is also hard to describe. Imagine the bowl gouge as a U. If you are cutting with the U in this configuration and you are cutting with the bottom of the U, the tool rest is under this bottom area and the cutting edge is supported by the tool rest. Now suppose you rotate the gouge slightly so the left upper edge of the U is doing the cutting. This is an unsupported area and the wood will try to pull it down so the gouge twists, bang you get a catch.
To avoid the above condition rotate the flute toward the right when you are cutting the interior of a bowl. You will now be cutting with the lower portion of the u and it is directlly supported by the tool rest.
As you turn down toward toward center of the bowl it is still important to keep the bevel rubbing. Anytime you have just the cutting edge in the wood without the bevel rubbing on the wood you get a catch.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
In addition to what John said, if you are trying to cut the inside of a bowl by basically guessing, you are opening yourself up for a world of hurt. Find someone in your area that turns and have them show you. It is not only critical on how you present the tool to the wood, but that presentation changes depending on what direction you are going (from center out, or vice versa) and what part of the curve you are trying to cut. Also where the tool is heightwise in relation to the bowl center makes the difference between getting a decent cut or taking a big chunk out of the bowl. Tool rest position is important. There are a number of factors that are easily learned when shown by someone.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

View gfeni's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the info. Very well explained.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode