unsticking faceplate - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
unsticking faceplate

What suggestions do ya'all have of keeping the faceplate from getting stuck on the spindle and how do ya free it up if it is.Mine got stuck and I engaged the locking pin then put a phillips screwdriver in one of the faceplate holes and tapped it but I dont think its good to keep doing that because it may be hard on the bearing and lock pin.Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Block O' wood and a BFH is how I've done it!

Maybe a way to make something that engages more than one hole that would give a more even pressure!

I know you'r lathe is new, see what others have done before going caveman on it!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Put some liquid wrench on the joint between the faceplate and spindle. Then grab it with a big pipe wrench. Ideally what you need is a pin wrench to fit in the hole and then hammer or pull on this. Most people don't own one of those. Putting a rod that exactly fits the hole might help and then ideally hit the rod right next to the hole.
When you do get it off you can try 2 things. I lubricate my spindle with a small amount of air tool lubricant. This keeps it from sticking but you do have to go back and do this periodically.
many people use a plastic washer. You can by really good ones from places like Packard, Craft Supplies and maybe Woodcraft. you can also make them by just cutting up a milk jug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Good ideas!I think I'll go over to Napa and see if they have a 1" drain plug teflon washer.Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
One thing you can do is lock it up finger tight.It does not have to be done real tight as it will tighten as you use it.
Its a misnomer to believe you gotta lock it up real tight, this only causes problems when trying to remove it.

I have 5 chucks I routinely change on my three lathes.Locking them up by hand lightly, unlocking with slightly more force. As they are all SN2 chucks I use the tee bar wrench. I use the same on my Longworth chucks 12" and 24" dia bolted on to face plates.

hughie
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Hughie's right. John Jordan teaches you to put the chuck on lightly, then take the wrench and tighten it. I should take about that much or slightly more pressure to remove it. This works most of the time but if you get a faceplate and spindle that aren't ground perfectly flat they can lock up.
The fiber washers can cause chatter on larger or longer pieces of work. On those pieces I remove it.
It is not a good idea to really snap the faceplate into position because it makes it hard to get off. If you ever turn the lathe on with the faceplate loose and it snaps home you will have one heck of a time getting it off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode