Turning Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Turning Tools

Does anyone make their own turning tools??? Where do you get the rod material from??? I was wanting to make a tool that I have seen before but I can not remember what it is called. Maybe someone here has made one. It looks like a pointed diamond shape. It can be used for fine detaling and has a cutting edge on both sides plus the point. If someone has one can you post a photo??? Thanks

John T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
JT I make them all the time. I use Drill rod. You can buy it from metal supply houses. I usually get mine from www.use-enco.com. You can buy it in oil hardening or water hardening. I use the waterhardening so I don't have to mess with oil when heat treating the tool.
A trick I use when sharpening is to take a hex nut that fits over the shaft, drill and tap one side and install a set screw. Slide the hex nut on the shaft and slide it down about 2 or 3 inches. This sits on your tool rest of the grinder and hold the tool at one position. Sharpen that side then rotate the tool to another flat side of the nut. This gives you 3 very accurate sides that are easily sharpened very precisely. If you file a flat spot where the hex nut goes you can easily repeat that grind later. I usually sharpen with diamond hones after the initial grinding to get a better edge.
To heat treat the tool, heat it red hot until it is non magnetic. Then quench it in the water. Then take it to your kitchen and throw it in the oven at 325 degrees. That will give you nice hard edge that isn't too brittle. Keep it in the oven at that temperature for about 30 minutes per 1/4" of thickness then just let it cool naturally.
If find about 3/8" to 1/2" works pretty well for these tools.
I just made myself a note to make a video of sharpening and using this tool. I'll try to get to it pretty soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
dmh (01-25-2012), mackem (01-26-2012), tcleve4911 (01-25-2012)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Enco often has HSS or HSS + cobalt. They are fairly inexpensive but the lengths are normally 8” maximum. They are more expensive than drill rod but they are ready to go and if I get usable steel for $2-3 per inch that is not too bad to me.
They are also available at WT Tools
http://www.wholesaletoolcompany.com/...FYnc4AodDAyHdw
For searching, the category seems to be “tool bits” at most of the steel sites.
For example at WT,1/2" diameter HSS X 8” length is $6.95 or Enco has1/4” HSS X8 for $2.60. For an 8” length I figure I will get about 3-4” usable with the amount inserted in my holder and the tool rest overhang taken off.
At both companies the selection seems to be hit or miss. I have been checking WT for several months to see if they have gotten in the ˝ square 5% cobalt HSS (skews, bedans, parting tools, etc).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a icon showing me hitting my head. I forgot about Enco. I have bought from them before. Thanks for that and also thanks for the tip on how to shape it. That is a good one. Done and done. I want that tool just for very fine detailing. I remeber back when it was the new tool on the block but I never got around to making one and filed it in the back of the head. Well total recall is not what it once was so thus the questions. Thanks again. Big help.

John T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode