turning purple heart?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

View jeepturner's Photo Album My Photos
turning purple heart??

I am new to turning and My wife just bought me some purple heart to make some bottle stoppers. I was wondering after i turned one last night it lost all the purple coloring. Am i doing something wrong> Do i need to do anything special?.. any help would be great!

Thanks
Jason
Auburn PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 AM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
I may be wrong (most likely anyway ) but I believe it gets its purple coloring as it is exposed to the air. I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected!

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
havin fun gettin it done

View wdkits1's Photo Album My Photos
Purple Heart

Hi Jason

I use alot of purple heart in my Intarsia and you are correct that fresh cut or turned PH will lose it's color. Have no fear, just set it in the sunlight or under fluorescent lights for a day or two and it will naturally regain it beautiful purple color. Another little trick that I have discovered,although crude is to spit on it ,and it will almost instantly turn purple.Weird huh!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
Another "tip" Since purpleheart is such a "stringy" grained wood, when sanding on the lathe, turn the lathe off and sand or finish with the grain. helps to get scratch marks out!

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Also, if you use tung oil on it, it tends to brown up. And I hear that it turns brown over time too.

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Jeep,
you can sand the ph while it is spinning. Make sure you go to at least 400 grit. Use a lacquer or quick dry varnish to seal it while it is on the lathe. Use a small piece of paper towel or a small square of cloth. If you have either of the finishes in an aerosol can, spray it on the cloth and then wipe it on while it's spinning. It will dry within 10-15 seconds. Put on several coats to build up a good layer. This will help to seal up all the fine pores in the wood. You can leave it like that or you can buff it if you are able to. I use it all the time in my peppermills in layers with other wood and the finish brings out the purple color very nicely, and I haven't had it fade with time.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
I am with Mike, sand while spinning. I always let it sit for a couple of days to allow it to regain the purple color before adding finish. I only use lacquer on PH, I have had no problem with color loss.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Retired and enjoying it.

View TheLt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Jeep,
you can sand the ph while it is spinning. Make sure you go to at least 400 grit. Use a lacquer or quick dry varnish to seal it while it is on the lathe. Use a small piece of paper towel or a small square of cloth. If you have either of the finishes in an aerosol can, spray it on the cloth and then wipe it on while it's spinning. It will dry within 10-15 seconds. Put on several coats to build up a good layer. This will help to seal up all the fine pores in the wood. You can leave it like that or you can buff it if you are able to. I use it all the time in my peppermills in layers with other wood and the finish brings out the purple color very nicely, and I haven't had it fade with time.
Mike Hawkins
That answered my question about regaining the deep purple color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode