Turning Bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

View VDUB04's Photo Album My Photos
Turning Bowls

Hello Again all,
As most of ya'll have seen my other thread regarding the Live center for the tail stock.

I am intrested in turning bowls. What are the proper tools I need to get started. This is probably a stupid question, But in pictures it looks as if the work is only attached to the lathe on the headstock... How is this done and what do I need to accomplish this? And can it be done on my Lathe, craftsman Roebuck Model # 103.23070. Pictures to be posted this afternoon, If you google just the Model # it shows picture of it. Thanks again all. Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
VD,
You need a four jaw chuck that threads onto your headstock. According to the pics I saw when I googled your model number, the morse taper on your headstock is a number 1. However this doesn't help as far as the thread size. If you look at Penn State Industries, they sell a chuck set for less than 200.00 that includes four different jawsets for the chuck. This will give you some pretty good versatility for holding pieces on your lathe. Half the fun of woodturning is figuring ways to hold pieces on. The other thing you will need is a bowl gouge. 3/8" or 1/2" would be fine. The only thing about bowl turning is, it's not the ideal project to start on without someone who is experienced overseeing and helping you. Some of the cuts while bowl turning can be quite dangerous if done improperly. Once you learn how to do them and what is actually happening at the tool tip as it is being presented to the wood, it's not a big deal. But if you are just guessing, sticking the tool tip in the wrong place in the inside of the bowl can result in a violent catch. You might try Bill Grumbine's bowl turning video. It is easy to follow and informative, but I would still recommend you get some local help. The learning curve will be a lot quicker, and safer.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You don't necessarily need a four jaw chuck. They are nice but not a must have item. I made a lot of bowls before I ever bought one. You can turn the outside and leave a tenon on the bottom. Then turn a shallow hole in a wasteblock that matches this tenon and glue the bowl in. Then you can turn the inside and part the bowl off at the tenon when done. I usually start a bowl between centers with the bottom toward the tailstock. This makes it easier to turn the tenon plus you have a dimply in the open side to put the tailstock into when glueing the tenon into the wasteblock. This aligns everything properly.
I will give a huge second recommendation to Bill Grumbine's video. It is excellent and will reduce your learning curve a huge amount and may save you some injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

View VDUB04's Photo Album My Photos
Once again Guys, I cant say thank you enough, Have a wonderful day.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

VDUB04, Prior to my buying a Jet lathe I also had the Sears lathe. I've turned many bowls using a face plate that came with the lathe. Years ago as a teen taking "Wood Shop", a face plate is what we used and that is what a face plate is made to do, is "turning bowls". I just bought a chuck last spring and I'll admit they are very versatile. Before you go out and drop a couple of hundred bucks for a chuck I would say use that face plate and get comfortable with bowl turning and using your tools.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode