Turning Books - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

View jwjw12's Photo Album My Photos
Turning Books

Need some help. I am a Technology teacher in upstate NY and started turing this past fall. My students wanted to so I am going to be getting a turning class started for next year. We have two lathes one we had is a Delt 10" and recently just purchased a new Grizzly 16". My administration loves the bowls that a few of my kids have been making; she approached me about having some extra money for books for this year. I can get 5 books for turning. She said that it doesn't matter where they come from I just need the book name.

My question is what would be the best five books for me to get? I have some kids that are just starting and I have a few that have started to really start getting good and wanted to be challenged.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 AM

View Nate Bos's Photo Album My Photos
My Dad got me a turning book called "Wood turning: a foundation course" By Keith Rowley. It is an amazing begginners book and really helped me in my technique.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Keith Rowley’s book Foundation Course, really outstanding.

I would look at some of his books or dvd’s.
http://www.richardraffan.com/node/72

The Frugal Woodturner by Ernie Conover another book that may interest you and students.

Would definitely stay away from books by Mike Darlow, an outstanding wood turner but articles and books too wordy!

Some really outstanding DVD's out there which might help whether looking for basic information, turning spindles or bowls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Learn to Turn by Barry Gross I thought was an excellent book that had great details about the basics of spindle and bowl turning. It explained the proper position of tools, the sharpening and care of tools, and also some advice on finishing. All around a great book for a beginner.

If only John Lucas would write a book...

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Richard Raffans books are also very good, and also on DVD. Check out woodturnerscatalog.com for a great selection.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

View jwjw12's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I have 2 books by Richard Raffan -- "Turning Wood" and "Turning Bowls" -- I find myself going back to them when things don't work out the way I expected.

Michael O'Donnell -- "Turning Green Wood" -- has an excellent section covering how to arrange the layout of blanks to cut from a tree, and how drying will affect the shape of a bowl turned green.

Ernie Conover -- "The Frugal Woodturner" -- has a good section on how to make jam chucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidden View Post
If only John Lucas would write a book...
Good point.

No matter which books you buy for the classroom, please let all your students know about the videos that John Lucas has posted on YouTube. There's only so much I can learn from reading words on a page, at some point I need to actually see somebody do it -- and John does it right.

http://www.youtube.com/user/john60lucas?blend=1&ob=0

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode