turning blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
turning blanks

i have a few questions about turning blanks.
do yall think there would be any interest in pine oak or even the dreaded sweetgum turning blanks for bowls and pens across the internet. we have plenty of pine logs on the lot and a few oak and sg. what would they be worth? should i let the sg set for a while to tame it before i chop it up? should i throw the blanks in this homemade [email protected] kiln i have made to get them where theyre not so green? are pen blanks like 1x1x4 or 5 inches? should i paint all the cut surfaces on the bowl blanks to keep them from cracking? any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think there would be much interest in the pine. I know I don't care for pine. I greatly prefer the hardwoods. The oak may sell, and I don't really know anything about sweetgum so I don't know what it will do.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM

View Dale W.'s Photo Album My Photos
Where are you in middle Ga? I live in the middle Ga area also. As far as blanks go I don't think pine blanks would do very well. There just isn't much color there. Now I have made a couple of pens from fat lighter and they look pretty good.

When I turn bowls from logs my most available wood is oak and they make pretty nice bowls. Spalted red oak looks really nice. I have only made one pen from oak, for a fellow that gave me some oak slabs, and it looked ok but nothing special.

I have no experience with sweet gum. But knowing sweet gum I would say it would be rather plain. Staining may bring out some color but I don't think it would do much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale W. View Post
Where are you in middle Ga? I live in the middle Ga area also. As far as blanks go I don't think pine blanks would do very well. There just isn't much color there. Now I have made a couple of pens from fat lighter and they look pretty good.

When I turn bowls from logs my most available wood is oak and they make pretty nice bowls. Spalted red oak looks really nice. I have only made one pen from oak, for a fellow that gave me some oak slabs, and it looked ok but nothing special.

I have no experience with sweet gum. But knowing sweet gum I would say it would be rather plain. Staining may bring out some color but I don't think it would do much.
i saw on ur thing ur in Gordon. i am about 40 miles from gordon. 25 miles south of macon on 75
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Sweetgum can be bland to the point of being worthless, OR it can have some beautiful streaking, so as to whether sweet gum would be worth cutting, the answer is maybe.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode