Turning bases - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Turning bases

I am going to be making some round sphere clocks in both woods and acrylics. I am looking for some ideas for some turned bases that I can sit them in. Sometimes my brain gets locked up and right now I can not invision any pleasing shapes. I do not want to turn a piece of wood and drill a hole and set the clock in it. I want to be more creative. Where do you all go to get ideas?? Is there some sort of book that shows different shapes??? Does anyone have a few photos of examples of some round bases that might work for what I am seeking to do?? Thanks in advance. I need a kick start.

Thought I would post an example of what I am talking about. I have been doing these billiardball clocks for some time. The base I designed was to resemble the triangle rack. I want to take this concept and turn my own spheres and possibly doing some segmenting as well. The base idea is stumping me and maybe a few ideas will kick start the brain. Thanks.

John T.

Last edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN; 02-05-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
I might turn something with a flat face, and on the edge do some kind of fancy roman ogee curve, you could take it a step further and glue a strip of 1/8" contrasting wood and start the ogee where the wood starts. could also do something with several different levels, do an inch thick with a fancy edge, and then go an inch in towards the center, do another inch thick with fancy edging. this would make a pedestal type thing. i'm pretty sure that might go through one ear and out the other. let me know if you want clarification and i'll find/ draw something up quick.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
So you want a spherical clock, with a turned base to set it in, but you don't want to turn the base and drill a hole to set it in? Sounds like you just don't want a turned base to me. The ones you have pictured above aren't turned bases. If you're looking for something like those, then I'd suggest avoiding the lathe as there are better tools to use. Table saw and router come to mind.

If you do want to turn the base, then your own imagination is the limit. Make something like a stemless goblet to set the sphere in, or a normal stemmed goblet, or a bowl shape, or well, whatever you can think of. Then you'll have to drill a hole, or turn a hole, to set clock in. Not sure of any way to avoid that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Turn a pedestal 2 or 3" tall and make a depression for the spheres' Or you can simply turn a ring that the spheres can sit in. That's how a friend displays his spheres and they look really nice.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 AM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
nice clocks well finished
how about putting on sitting on a cube like chalk maybe poll sticks could make a miniature stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode