tool sharpening - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

View jballs918's Photo Album My Photos
tool sharpening

well hello all

if i recall this is my first post here, im on about 7 different forums lol. i come to you all with a question. i have just perchased a new jet mini for myself and now i must figure out what to get for a good tools sharpening system. as i have done alot of research, i understand that the prices vary from about 100 bucks all the way up to about 1000 or so when all said and done. my main question i guess is there a system other then the tormek7, which with all the jigs and what have you pushes it to almost 1k for all the tools i will have one day. from what i have read and talked to alot of folks it seems that maybe the jet or the grizzly wheels may work, but again would this be a waste of money. or has someone out there in tv found the perfect grinder to jig to stone combo. lets also not forget the robert sorby pro egde. also how parctical is hand honing. please understand i will restore straight razors for a hobby so i have hones ranging from 220 grit all the way to 12000. any thoughts on this would be great also. as you can see im in a bit of a fog on all of this, please any input would be great. thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM

View Neal Addy's Photo Album My Photos
Sharpening systems are a matter of personal preference and budget. There is no "right" way to sharpen your tools (but there are plenty of "wrong" ways). As long as your system is capable of quickly putting a fine edge on your tool it will work. Many turners use a standard bench grinder with aluminum oxide wheels (or better). Others prefer more esoteric systems such as the Jet or Tormek. Such high-end systems work very well if you have the budget or already own one. If this is the case you may want to look into special attachments for turning tools.

Bench grinders are one of the more common methods of sharpening, and the least expensive (other than sandpaper or hand stones - both of which can work but are extremely slow). Grinders generally come in three flavors: high-speed (3450 RPMs), low-speed (1725 RPMs), and variable-speed. Regardless of what anyone tells you, it doesn't matter what speed grinder you use for sharpening HSS tools. Any of the above will work.

Another grinder choice you'll be faced with is wheel size. 8" grinders are often touted as putting less of a concave on the tool bevel than a 6" grinder. Again, it doesn't really matter. The wood is not going to know the difference. The best argument for 8" wheels is that they are available in 1" wide offering you a bit more sharpening surface to work with. 6" wheels are generally 3/4" wide. Again, the difference is a matter of convenience and personal preference. Either will work.

As mentioned above, aluminum oxide wheels (or better) are well suited for sharpening HSS steel. Wheel color is not important. Wheels between 80 to 120 grit are generally considered good for sharpening. 60 grit wheels (or lower) are best for reshaping but could also be used for sharpening with a light enough touch.

One of the most popular grinder set ups out there is the Woodcraft 8" slow-speed grinder. It sells for around $100 and comes with two AO wheels making it a great bang-for-the-buck.

Last edited by Neal Addy; 01-03-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode