Tool rest for bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Tool rest for bowls

I have a Jet midi lathe and would like to get an S shaped tool rest for turning bowls. All the ones I have found so far are too big and have a post that is too large to fit my lathe. Does anyone know where I can find one with a 5/8" shank???

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 AM

View TonyR's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Ken, try PENN STATE INDUSTRIES They should be close to you. or use there web site.

TonyR
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 AM

View Bill Bolen's Photo Album My Photos
I bought mine from PSI and found them to be excellent. I also got the 3 piece round bar set listed lower on the page and use them a lot...Bill...
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/toolrests.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You might also check out my friends at www.bestwoodtools.com
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
jet tool rests

Ken,
I made a couple of S shaped rests for my jet midi. I bought a 3' piece of 5/8" roundstock at home depot. Put the last inch of the rod in a smooth jawed metal vise. I used a small oxy-acetylene torch to heat to cherry red and with moderate pressure started to bend it and form a curve. Move the torch down further and bend it the other way to form an S. Cut off with a hacksaw when cool. Cut another short piece to match the height of the post in your existing tool rest. Grind a fishmouth shaped curve in the top of the short piece to match the radius of the roundstock. Weld together. I used a Tig welder, but mig would work fine. Smooth off any rough edges. Wire wheel entire piece to get rid of the black scale that comes on the metal. Use a product such as 'Tool Guard' to keep from rusting. I made a couple different shapes. It helps to offset the post to one side to allow the rest to pivot into the inside of the bowl. The piece of metal cost 4-5 bucks.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (02-24-2012)
post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
I bought mine for Penn State Ind. It is a hook shaped tool rest with a 5/8 in post. It works great but i wish they made one with the curve also going the other way so it would be shaped like a U
post #7 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I had a straight one made by Brent English of Robust lathes. It's 12" long and easily reaches into any bowl I've needed to do. I have some curved tool rests but almost never use them.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Ken,
I made a couple of S shaped rests for my jet midi. I bought a 3' piece of 5/8" roundstock at home depot. Put the last inch of the rod in a smooth jawed metal vise. I used a small oxy-acetylene torch to heat to cherry red and with moderate pressure started to bend it and form a curve. Move the torch down further and bend it the other way to form an S. Cut off with a hacksaw when cool. Cut another short piece to match the height of the post in your existing tool rest. Grind a fishmouth shaped curve in the top of the short piece to match the radius of the roundstock. Weld together. I used a Tig welder, but mig would work fine. Smooth off any rough edges. Wire wheel entire piece to get rid of the black scale that comes on the metal. Use a product such as 'Tool Guard' to keep from rusting. I made a couple different shapes. It helps to offset the post to one side to allow the rest to pivot into the inside of the bowl. The piece of metal cost 4-5 bucks.
Mike Hawkins
I'll second this statement. I plan to make a few myself this weekend. Nothing curved right now as I havnt started bowl turning yet but I cant believe the prices on the rests available on the market.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM

View Nate Bos's Photo Album My Photos
Lee valley sells these and you can buy the right size to fit your rest base. The posts have a threaded top so you can interchange a straight and S toolrest on the same post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode