tool question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
tool question

Ok so I went by Woodcraft today to look at their 5 piece turning tool set. Saw it advertised online for a good price and since I am need of a roughing gouge, thought it would be a good way to pick one up and get four more tools for not much more of an investment. Here is a link to the set I'm talking about. http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=5238

Does anyone know much about their Woodriver line of tools? I have an old set of Craftsman tools but not a roughing gouge. So I actually have the other tools listed in this set. I guess my apprehension lies in that the tools felt a little cheap in my hands. Just not what I expected. The roughing gouge sells for about $40 on it's own so the set is a good deal. I'm just wondering if I would be better off buying a better gouge and upgrading my tools on a piece by piece basis. I looked at a Sorby gouge but it was like $90. I also stopped by one other place and they carry Crown tools. I looked at their roughing gouges and liked them alot. They just felt really solid. They had a 3/4 gouge for $45 and a 1 1/4 for $49. At this point I'm leaning towards the Crown gouge but wondering what others think.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
John,
I started out with a 3/8 spindle gouge, and a 3/4 roughing gouge, and a 3/16 parting tool, all from woodcraft. They were chinese made, Pinacle brand. They look like the ones in the link. They are not expensive, but seem to work pretty well. I still use the roughing gough all the time. For the money they are pretty good. You do have to know how to sharpen them, like any other chisel. I have a bunch of Sorby's also. I bought them one at a time when they were on sale. I don't have any Crowns, but I have looked at them in the store and they seem to be pretty nice.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
jdixon
John I have a couple crown and Pinnacle tools and they are fine as far as I can see. I think if you need a roughing gouge buy just that and get the best you can find. I wouldn't get into buying sets. A while back I was thinking I needed a larger roughing gouge to go along with my 3/4 roughing gouge.I saw the Penn State Industries version of a roughing gouge that was a 2" gouge. The price was cheap but I bought it and for being as cheap it is I found out that it was an excellent tool for the money. Only gripe I had against it was it wasn't very sharp when it arrived, like most tools you buy today. I never ground it but honed it on the Tormek and was still disappointed. Finally I had to grind the cutting edge and hone it again.I found out at this point that this is a good roughing gouge. Whatever you buy, good luck. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Mike and Mitch thanks for your replies. I respect both of your opinions very much. I think I have decided I'm going with the Crown gouge rather than the set. If for no other reason than it was the one that felt the best. I watched a podcast the other day from Woodsmith about turning pens and in it the presenter was using a 1-1/2" roughing gouge to turn the blank down to size. He made a point to say that he uses it all the time and that the good thing about a big gouge is that it can be used for small items as well as large but a smaller gouge can only be used for smaller items. With this in mind I was leaning towards the 1-1/4" gouge over the 3/4". The handle on the larger gouge is also several inches longer I think which lends itself to being more comfortable. Does this sound like good logic or am I missing something. Again this would be my first and only roughing gouge. Thanks again guys.

John
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
John,
If you are going to have just one roughing gouge, size depends on what you plan on making. I have two roughing gouges, the pinacle is a 3/4" with a fairly long handle. The other is a shorter handle Sorby, I can't remember if it is a 3/4 or 1". I think it is 1". I use the 1" to cut most of the shape on my peppermills. It does everything except the tight stuff like cutting beads. I use the pinacle to round up square stock, rough out the outside of bowl blanks, and probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Both work well. The longer handle works well for roughing out stock. I like the shorter handle for cutting the curves and doing actual finish cuts with it. Its a litte easier to control when you are trying to cut long arcs and the like. I would probably go with the 1" if that were my only one. You will find many uses for it, just don't go inside a bowl with it.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
jdixon
Your logic is right on the money John. Do it your way. You also got some excellent advice from my friend Mike, my resident bird expert. Don't ever go inside a bowl with a roughing gouges. Good luck both you guys. Mitch
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I own a 3/4" roughing gouge and a 2". I bought the 2" because a friend who had to turn a hundred spindles said that it made the job easier. I have tried my best to like the big gouge and just can't seem to fall in love with it. I can do all I need with the 3/4" and it works much better when roughing in the shapes because it's smaller. The big gouge is fine for roughing things the size of large table legs but I can't get in a rough out details.
The way I use roughing gouge is I round out the piece and then start to shape with it. By using the wings like mini skews for cleaning up the tool marks left by pushing the roughing gouge too fast, I can get very close to final dimensions. I have left the top corners of the rough out gouge square and sharp so that I can use these like you would use a parting tool to cut the shoulders of beads or tenons. I lay the U on it's side so the top of the U goes against the tenon area and then lift the handle and rough shape the tenon.
Once I finished with the rough out gouge there's very little work to do with the spindle gouge and skew.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode