Which tool to buy ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

View longbeard's Photo Album My Photos
Which tool to buy ?

Hi guys,
I need some help determing which tool to buy.
I've only had my lathe a few months (havnt turned alot ) but would like to buy a hollowing tool. The more i read and watch videos on end grain turning, the more confused i get on what tool i need.
So, this is where you guys come into it (experiance )
I'm looking at 2 tools right now and they are:
1- Sorby Multi-Tip Shear Scraper $72.00
( i like this one because it has bead and cove cutter blades as extra tips)
2- Crown Hollowing Tool $55.00
probably only going to be doing small things like lidded boxes and such, probably do small bowls, so any insight would be a BIG help

Thanks guys

Last edited by longbeard; 05-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Also look at craftsupplyusa. They have several small hollowing tools for small projects.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I make end grain bowls and & boxes with nothing more that spindle and bowl gouges. Some have been semi- closed form.

If you want dedicated hollowing tools might take a look at John Jordon’s hollowing tool selection. His 3/8” or ½” sets might be what you need. Tips can be sharpen or replace a lot cheaper than either Crown or Sorby set ups. You can make your own handle or buy one from him.

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/John_Jordan_Woodturning/Tools_and_More.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Wildwood
i will look at those
post #5 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM

No problem, making end grain bowls & boxes with lids lots of fun try using your gouges first.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I think i will keep my gouges on the outside part of the wood for now until i get better at stickin them into the endgrain
i looked at the john jordan tools but i kinda like the thoughts of having 1 tool with many options ( bead and cove cutters ) i was looking at the sorby box cutter too, but not sure of what other cutters could be used with that tool

thanks
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Sorby and it works well for me. I use it mostly with enclosed forms(?), the ones where the top is only slightly closed and there is a lid/top. Makes it easy to do the hollowing under the top edge. There is a lot of steel there to give good support with an overhang. The hollowing bits can be pretty agressive so take light cuts.
I have some wood I want to try some boxes with, about 2.5"- 3" diameter. Not sure how I would get a gouge in there to make a sharp corner in the bottom.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased the sorby as my first vase and hollow form tool. It sits on the shelf. The cutters are too large and are grabby until you really get some skill. You really don't need all the other cutters.
I'm a fan of the John Jordan tools. They are simple, easy to sharpen, and designed by a guy who does hollow turning for a living and has for 30 years or more. the smaller cutters don't twist the tool as much and you can still get very smooth cuts.
If you look at the two top hollow form turners, John Jordan and David Ellsworth. both have designed tools very similar to each others. that should tell you something.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
i appreciate all the advice
post #10 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM

John, I am not disagreeing, just trying to educate myself.
I have the Sorby and the hollowing cutters are 1/4” wide. The cutters on the Jordan or Ellsworth also appear to be 3/16” or 1/4” also. I’m not sure I follow “the twisting the tool more”, aren’t the latter two inserted into round stock? The Sorby is flat on one side (flat side on the tool rest when hollowing). It seems the round stock would twist more but maybe not.
The Sorby is more expensive but it seems to me it may be more versatile since the tip for the hollowing bits will rotate to any position you want. The hollowing tips are more expensive also but you can grind the opposite end for a custom profile if you want to.
I use the teardrop scraper (round side down on the tool rest) a lot more than the hollowing tips.

Longbeard,
To answer your origional question I have never used the Crown. Both the Crown and Sorby are Sheffield Steel. Maybe you can compare the two personally if you have a store near you that carries both. It appears the Crown hollowing bits are flat stock and the Sorby are round stock, I don't know if that makes any difference in hollowing or not.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Are these the Sorby & Crown tools folks talking about?

Robert Sorby Midi Multi Tip Hollowing Tool
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Hol lowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Midi_Multi_Tip_Hollowi ng_Tool___sorby_midi_multi?Args=

Robert Sorby Box Hollower
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Hol lowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Box_Hollower___sorby_b ox_hollower?Args=

Could not bring up the Sorby RS2000 (Robert Steward) system at web site. .

Crown Hollowing Tool
Crown Hollowing Tool
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/15874

Click on tools themselves those 3/16” cutters are very aggressive in cutting and stock removal.
http://www.stubbylathe.com/

Read what this 70-year young woman (Lissi Oland) has to say about 3/16” tip over ¼” tip. Many folks that make their own Oland tools use bigger HSS tips.
http://www.olandcraft.com/Lissi_%C3%98land/Finishing_process_.html

http://www.olandcraft.com/Lissi_%C3%98land/%C3%98land_tools.html
post #12 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

wildwood
yeap, those are the 3 hollowing tools i've been looking at
and leaning towards the sorby for the multi uses it has but like the sorby box cutter for the price and also the crown but dont wanna get one and then a week or so later think i shoulda got the other one and i like the articles too

thanks again and hope i dont wear you guys out with dumb questions

( i really like makin sawdust more than anything )
post #13 of 16 Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 AM

The top link above (Craft Supply) is for the Midi. The Midi is only ½” stock and 1/8” cutters. Has two cutters and a round scraper blade (not tear drop).
They also carry the standard at the same price (72.99) but it is on a different page. It is ¾” stock and has 3/16” cutters. It list the tear drop scraper and 3/16” cutter. So I guess you only get one cutter? They show the Side/End Cutter out of stock.
Here is a link to Packard also.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Catego ry_Code=tools-srby-ht-mtss
The standard is 79.95 ($7 more) but they list both 3/16” cutters and the tear drop scraper, as well as the wrench.
The Midi is $1 less and comes with the tear drop scrapper rather than the round scraper that Craft Supply has.
Hartville also has the standard for $78.99 with the same set-up as Packard.
You would just have to look and see if tax applies and shipping charges. Hartville is showing free shipping over $75 but I am not sure about the others.
I went to the Sorby site and they do not state the cutter width that I can find. I did go back to my shop and my cutters are ¼”. So either Sorby has gone with the smaller diameter cutter or the sellers have their data wrong. I have purchased from all three companies and I am sure someone will measure the cutter they have for you if you call them.
I’m not trying to “sell” you towards anything. Just comparing the same tools with the same cutters. I think you would be disappointed if you received the smaller tool or less cutters if you do decide on Sorby.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys
I think i will be gettin the sorby from craft supplies
both the 1/2" and 3/4" straight shank are $72.99
and probably go with the 3/4''
post #15 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 AM

View rizaydog's Photo Album My Photos
Longbeard,

I don't know if you like building your own tools or not. If not, disregard this. I made my own hollowing tool for around $40. It will do both small and larger hollow forms. I have the plans free on my website.

Come visit me at WoodChux and see my work, get free woodworking plans, and find the lowest priced bottle stopper kits around.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks rizaydog
nice web site and nice work
i thought about trying to make a handled tool for hollowing and buy the cutter tips
i've noticed that tools are somewhat cheaper buying them unhandled too

thanks again for the info and link to your site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode