Thoughts on Carbide tip Woodturning Chisels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

View David R's Photo Album My Photos
Thoughts on Carbide tip Woodturning Chisels

I`m a newbie and just wanted some feedback as to what`s best for Woodturning chisels as a set, carbide tiped or HSS.

Your work is who you are

Last edited by David R; 12-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on what you plan to turn and how much you want to spend. I've been turning for a long time and have everything from High carbon steel tools to carbide. The best deal by far is High Speed Steel. That's when you weigh price and quality and usefulness.
The best tools in my opinion are the new powdered metal tools from Doug Thompson. www.thompsonlathetools.com These are state of the art metal for turning. They have really good shapes, they hold an edge well and they sharpen easily.
The new carbide tools are handy and have their place but they are not as all around useful as a good quality HSS tool that has the proper shape and proper grind. That's why I like the Thompson tools.
There are lots of inexpensive HSS tools. Some are decent to learn to sharpen but they often come with a grind that is hard for beginners to use.
The older High Carbon tools are pretty good but you must be extremely careful when sharpening them. If you blue the edge it will lose it's temper and not hold an edge until you grind past the blue. Pick up these tools if they are really inexpensive because they do cut well when sharp. Just be really careful when sharpening.
I don't recommend sets. Buy a 3/8 or 1/2" bowl gouge, a 3/4" rough out gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge, a square nose scraper, round nose scraper, 3/16" parting tool, and 3/4" skew. With these tools you can turn almost anything.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply John

I`ve heard carbide tipped hold a good edge but then to sharp them becomes expensive, instead the HSS you can sharp them with a regular wheel if you possess the know how and it also holds a pretty decent edge as well.
I`m going to start turning small projects to get the hang of it and gradually work myself up a little at a time. I`m going to take your advise on the tools you recommend and also check the website in your reply.

Thanks again.

David

Your work is who you are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The carbide cutters sold in woodturning can't really be sharpened. To do it you would need a green wheel or a diamond wheel. The cutters are replaceable.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM

View Apple Ridgerunner's Photo Album My Photos
Don't forget that a sharpening system is as important as the tools themselves. If you purchase an inexpensive set of tools all the more important is the sharpening system, incorporate the system into and along with the tools.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Is a matter of fact I was looking into the Nova sharpening tool. Do you have any experience with that system?

Your work is who you are
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM

View Apple Ridgerunner's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Oneway brand, Wolverine system. Quick, convenient, & not outragesly expensive. There are plans on the internet to make your own much like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode