think i lost my "touch" - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
think i lost my "touch"

can one lose their touch when turning? i havn't turned in quite a long time and jumped back on the lathe today. i felt like a moron, my tools caught several times. i even resorted to making a handle-less rolling pin. which is really really beginner. I'm wondering if it's possible that i'm also not used to the tools, the tools i've used in the past are the pro tools, beefy, long and just plain big. i've only got a beginner/intermediate set so they aren't big or beefy. maybe i just need to practice a little.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Patience Tyler, patience.
It's like riding a bicycle. Go back, sharpen your tools, put a new blank on the lathe, and take your time. Nice easy cuts, use the bevels when applicable, etc. It'll all come back. You might have had a bad piece of wood too, it happens.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
tymann09 (02-11-2012)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
tymann, dont think youve lost your touch! Give it some time and keep at it. Sometimes (usually when im in a hurry) or have specific expectations of exactly how a piece will go I lose sight that turning (for me) is a sort of communication between me and the wood. If I forget that the work suffers and I dont have fun which is what this is supposed to be!!! If I take my time and adapt when there is a crack or I dont like the grain pattern or the shape, color or whatever I get PLEASURE out of turning. If I ever get to the point where my brain says JUST HURRY UP AND FINISH ALREADY I know its time to take a break and get back to it later. Take your time, as you're working. Stop the lathe multiple times and take a look at the form. Do you like it? If not how can you change it with what you know about the wood and turning? Forget about your tools. If they are sharp then crappy tools can create some magnificent stuff!!! Another suggestion is to challenge yourself. Failure can be heart poundingly fun when your going after your own Everest of challenges. Pushing yourself to get better EVEN IF YOU FAIL will make you learn at twice the rate! Keep it up and let us know how it goes!!! happy turnin,
Bond
The Following User Says Thank You to bond3737 For This Useful Post:
tymann09 (02-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. after dinner i went down to the lathe and decided to try some more. i took it easier, slower and just kinda shook myself loose. i graduated this time to a rolling pin with handles, which i don't think looks half bad. i got the skew down again, not as many tool catches as last time. i think things are improving i figured i'd show ya'll my lovely lil' rollin' pin ps. ignore the little animal thing on the top right. it's a school project, feels like i'm back in kindergarden sometimes.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
good looking rolling pin
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Good come back and in the same day No less . You never lose your touch, sometimes you just have to remember that you left it in your Heart

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
You never lose your touch, sometimes you just have to remember that you left it in your Heart

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
the dang truth that is right there

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
The Following User Says Thank You to tymann09 For This Useful Post:
MastersHand (02-11-2012)
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Nice rolling pin. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
ty, if I haven't turned something other than pens for quite a while, I also feel like it takes me a bit to get back in the groove. What I do is just relax and let the muscle memory take back over. Now that I've been turning for a while, it doesn't take long to find the zone again. Keep it at it...it's still there.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
That's why I do my little practice pieces like in the skew videos. If I haven't been on the lathe in a week or two I'll just throw a chunk or 2x4 on the lathe and whittle it away to nothing. It only takes about 15 minutes but lets me get back in the groove. I can use whatever tool I might be using for the next project or I can just practice different cuts.
Of course turning a bowl is good practice because it takes several cuts to get down to the shape. When I haven't been turning for a while I will take smaller cuts so I can practice the gouge movements.
Most of woodturning is subtle movements. If your gouge is sharp you should be able to take very fine cuts. It's good practice to practice these cuts because they take more tool control than big waste away wood cuts.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. guess maybe i just need to practice on scrap wood and just do different techniques.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode