are these logs Oak and what can I seal it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
are these logs Oak and what can I seal it?

I was told these logs were oak. I'm not sure where to locally get the stuff made for sealing them so any ideas? Is it better to turn oak wet or dried? I was thinking of turning a live bowl or two so how long do i have to do this or seal the ends. They are fresh cut in past few days.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	23490  

Name:	log4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	23491  

Name:	log5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	23492  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
sure looks like maple to me
The Following User Says Thank You to robert421960 For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
They kinda remind me of some Texas pin oak. Looks scary to me Richard "Be safe". I'm stickin to spindles for a while.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
The Following User Says Thank You to JMC'sLT30 For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
My first impression after seeing the reddish hue of the end grain in the first picture was honey locust. But from here, the bark does look a little like a red oak. Don't know for sure.
At any rate, I would saw lengthwise to remove the pith from both sides and then cut fresh ends and seal with canning wax. Should need less than a one pound block. Melt in an old pan on low heat (don't leave unattended) or a double boiler method if you have another old pot.
Or you could rough turn your bowls and do the paper bag thing until dry. Then do a final turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to djg For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM

View Dave Pannell's Photo Album My Photos
looks exactly like some of the oak around here. If it has open pores on the growth rings, and "rays" coming out from the center, that's what it is. Even the color of the moss on the bark makes it look like my local oaks. I just turned some not too long ago, and it warped, but didn't crack. I turned it really green.

Can't help with sealing tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Pannell For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Use canning wax called Gulf Wax, wife gets it from commissary on base. Our Wal-Marts carries same brand too! Also use latex paint as an end sealer.

If going to rough turn not sure would worry about end sealing. If going to split or cut away any end checking would seal until get around to turning.

If you cover wood completely in wax, wood will not dry. Like wax as an end sealer, but sometimes will flake off as wood dries due to shrinkage. Latex paint little better because it does allow water to leave without checking. Back in 2003 and 3004 turned bunch of hurricane wood (Mimosa) from 1997 that was end seal with latex. Also had some wax end sealed blanks from about same time. No, degrade what so ever. Of course stored wood correctly.

Had problems with latex end sealed Mulberry that did not store correctly.

Your mileage may vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
guess im wrong sorry guys
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, it's OAK. I work with it everyday. You need to get some Anchorseal"Green wood sealer" and coat the ends only. You should turn the oak green if you can. It will cut much easier. When it dries out it will be harder to cut and dull tools much faster. If it is freshly cut it will take a long time to dry out though.
The Following User Says Thank You to don716 For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

OK agreed it's Oak and I should seal the ends with latex paint or Anchorseal. I know where to get the paint but what about the Anchorseal?

Should I split them down the middle now and leave that unsealed or leave it whole for now.

I will probably turn them while green. How long do I have before they would no loner be considered green? Also I know to turn them down but not all the way then put them in a paper bag for what a few months before the final turning?

Someone said to store them (the Logs) properly while drying. How is properly stored? I was thinking stacked in the shop.allowing space to dry. Is that correct?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
OK agreed it's Oak and I should seal the ends with latex paint or Anchorseal. I know where to get the paint but what about the Anchorseal?
Here's a link. you buy it directly from the manufacturer in 1, 2.5, or 5 gallon containers.
http://cspoutdoors.com/anchorseal.html

If you're not going to be doing this often, I still think the canning wax would be a cheaper alternative.

Quote:
Should I split them down the middle now and leave that unsealed or leave it whole for now.
I would split them down each side of the pith now. The logs I have laying around are splitting. Plus the majority of the work is done now. All you have to do later is cut your circles out for your blanks.

Quote:
I will probably turn them while green. How long do I have before they would no loner be considered green?
The half logs prepared as described above, will still be "green" for a year or two. The cherry logs I collected in winter of 2009 are still plenty wet inside (stored out of rain).
If your talking about rough bowls, they say they'll dry within 6 months.

Quote:
Also I know to turn them down but not all the way then put them in a paper bag for what a few months before the final turning??
They say to weigh them after a few months and look for a constant weight.

Quote:
Someone said to store them (the Logs) properly while drying. How is properly stored? I was thinking stacked in the shop.allowing space to dry. Is that correct?
Again 'they say' out of direct sun, wind and wind if possible.

http://cspoutdoors.com/anchorseal.html
The Following User Says Thank You to djg For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-15-2011)
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert421960 View Post
guess im wrong sorry guys
I've been there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode