termite tool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
termite tool

hey everyone just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on the termite tool. also if anyone has a better hollowing tool they use if they could fill me in on it, it would be extremely appreciated.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...4&FamilyID=411
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have the termite tool. It is an excellent tool for hollowing boxes and for cleaning up the inside of vases. However since I got the Hunter tool I no longer use the termite. The termite tool can clog up when taking big cuts in green wood. It's also kind of a pain to sharpen. The Hunter tool never needs sharpening. It's nano carbide and holds an edge for a very long time. If it gets dull just rotate it. I've use mine for over a year and it's still cutting fine. To see how it's used go here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHxV1VkcBPE
post #3 of 10 Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
jfs477
I bought my termite tool close to two years ago and liked it right away, but it took a while to learn to use it right and not get any catches. When it does it is real scary. When I start a cut I made it a habit of setting the ring straight up and down on the tool rest then tilt it right a little and maintain this position then you never get a catch. Never never hold the tool where it looks like you took your wedding ring off and laid it on the table. Looking down through the ring is disastrous.
I like my termite so much I bought the 3 cutters they sell and made two more tools so now I have three termites , this way I don't need to sharpen as often and when I do I often don't grind but just use a diamond file and touch up around the diameter, cuts fine and the tool lasts much longer. It is a common knock that it plugs up when cutting green wood but this doesn't bother me so much. This is still my favorite hollowing tool. I know a lot of turners like the Hunter tools better for hollowing and maybe they are right. I am in the process of making one right now and will soon know which I prefer. I can't wait to see how this Hunter carbide tool works, I'm a tool junkie and love them all.
Can I suggest something to you to save you some money and still have a termite? Buy the large cutter ring for $24 dollars I think, buy a half " rod at Home Depot, approximately $7. The cutter has a tenon on it, so drill this sized hole in the bottom of the rod and insert the cutter into the rod. Drill and tap, and insert set screws and you have a termite for less than half the $100 they now cost. This has to cut just as good cause you are using the same cutter. Just something to think about. Good Luck Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM

John Lucas
John, I want to congratulate you for the fine video On You Tube, I couldn't comment on the Tube so I want to let you know you did great job. I have a question about your tool but don't want to ask here. I am making my #4 cutter tool right now. Mitch
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
I have something similar from Woodcut tools in NZ called a Proforme, unlike the Termite it does not tend to clog.

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=2

Its not so easy to locate the sweet spot with out some experience. But when you do yeehaa!

Another one I use is from EziKut Tools, who sell on Ebay, they are oland type, sorry dont have a link.

hughie
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 PM

hughie
I am a big supporter of using the termite and admit it does clog on wet wood, but I also have the three Proforme cut tools from NZ that the picture shows and experience about the same clogging with these tools I agree they are great tools otherwise. Mitch
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Mitch.
Yep they all at some time clog especially on wet timber. Thats when my Ezikut comes into its own. The 1/2" version with the heavy 1" dia shaft really can take a hammering and hog out a bowl in no time at all.

I had a Rolly Munro hollower for a time but passed it on to a friend. I found I was not using it very much. So it went to a better home .

hughie
post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 AM

hughie
I never saw an Ezicut, will check that one out. Thanks I bought an Elbow hollowing system with a laser and don't use it at all anymore and never even tried the laser. Mitch
post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 AM

View Robocop's Photo Album My Photos
Hi
I have the Roly Monroe hollowing tool, just gettin used to using it, but at a demonstration by Jimmy Clewes last Saturday he said it was the best hollowing tool he ever used and it wont dig in, pretty expensive but i got it as a present otherwise i couldnt justify the cost
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 AM

Robocop
Congratulations on getting the Rolly Munro hollowing tool.I never used one but am sure it's a good tool. Hope you enjoy using yours that some kind person gave you as a great gift. Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode