Sweetgum bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

View Eugene In NC's Photo Album My Photos
Sweetgum bowl

Hello everyone, It's been a while since I started a thread. I have about fifty or so bowls rough turned from some wood we cut in december. I finally got a finished bowl from some of that wood. It is sweetgum, it measures 12" X 3-1/2", it is finished with mineral oil and bees wax. This is the largest bowl I have completed to date. All of my larger bowls seem to crack no matter what I do to them.

Sweetgum bowl-sg001.jpg

Name:  SG002.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  SG003.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  50.6 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Eugene,
Good to see you back. The bowl turned out very nice. What were you doing on the other ones that you were getting a lot of cracking? If you are turning a bowl while the log is still green, which it sounds like, rough it out and leave it about an inch thick. Leave a tenon on the bottom so you can rechuck it easily.Coat the end grain with some anchorseal or the equivalent, and put it in a brown paper shopping bag and put it in a cool place in your shop for a couple of months. It may show some signs up warpage, but that's ok. That's why you leave it an inch thick initially. Then go ahead and finish it and see if this helps. The other thing I do depending on the time of year is to leave it in the shop for 4-5 days when done to let it further acclimate itself. In the winter our house is usually lower in humidity than the shop. If you do get some minor cracks, fill them with some medium thickness CA glue and then sand and refinish that area. If you can still chuck it back up, its easy to do on the lathe. Just make sure the ca glue is dry before you fire the lathe up.

Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice work. I like the shape. I haven't done any green turning yet. I have a box full of green blanks sitting on the shelf in the shop. I just haven't gotten to that project yet.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
That's really nice!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
Eugene,

Nice bowl!! Are the darker markings in the bowl from differences in the grain?

Nice job!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Eugene, good to hear from you again! Been so busy on that lathe you haven't had time to check in here huh? Nice looking bowl. That sweetgum has some pretty grain patterns going on! Thanks for sharing.

John
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
mucho grande nice.

Jason Porter
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

View Eugene In NC's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the kind words. I think the larger bowls were cracking because of the high moisture content and the diameter of the bowls. In a week or so I hope to have some 14" to 16" bowls that had only surface cracks that turned out or will turn out when I finish turn the bowls.

The very dark brown spots are some type of brown wood that is in the log. It looks like pith wood. I have never worked with sweet gum before so I am not sure.

Thanks for looking and for the encouragement.

Eugene
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
humidity than the shop. If you do get some minor cracks, fill them with some medium thickness CA glue and then sand and refinish that area. If you can still chuck it back up, its easy to do on the lathe. Just make sure the ca glue is dry before you fire the lathe up.
Eugene,

Sound advice. I turn most of my bowls green, some so wet I have to wear wet weather gear. Depending on the timber you need to leave a good wall thickness. At a minimum, 1" some timbers move around alot so leave more 1-1/2" or so.

I then place them in cardboard boxes and close the lid but dont seal them up. I leave them for anything up to and beyond 6months. In the first couple of months I check them weekly and fill any cracks with CA. Later I check less frequently around monthly or so.

hughie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode