Steussey's 6" and 8" bowlsaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

View BobCol's Photo Album My Photos
Steussey's 6" and 8" bowlsaw

Has any turner used one or both of these bowlsaws. I think I am the only in Aussie that has them and wonder what other turners think. I have found that they are safe and easy to use, getting that extra bowl from the blank of expensive wood rather than saw dust. I have found that the larger the diam, and thicker the blank is the more rim you can allow on the bowls for shaping and if required decorative work. With a 9"-10" diam 3" or more inches thick blank it will leave you with a 7" approx diam second bowl from which a smaller bowl can be cored. The main thing to remember is that after cutting the groove to the required depth, STOP THE LATHE AND ADJUST THE SPEED TOP A LOWER REV, I have found 500-670rpm ideal, make the initial cut by hand turning the lathe before turning the lathe on. With this low speed there is no fear of missiles flying as if you do get a catch the lathe will stall and allow you to readjust the saw blade. I am happy with the results and would recommend the bowlsaw to any turner specially the hobbiest. More information can be seen on www.bowlsaw.com bobcol I have some photos in my album.

Last edited by BobCol; 02-04-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: add paragraph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

Hi Bob. I had never heard of the bowlsaw ( I went to the site ) and it looks like a good idea. I think you could make one from a large screw driver and weld a sawsall blade on the tip? It might be fun to try and experiment with it.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

G'day mate. Have a go at making one by all means but I would be happy to pay $40.00 for one that is guaranteed to work and has proved safe than pay a large hospital bill. There is a special weld used to attach the saw blade and there has been no reports of the blade coming loose. Best of luck.

Last edited by BobCol; 02-04-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I thought about making one also. I wouldn't think it would take a special weld. If fact if you turned a tenon on the shank, made it sort of square to prevent the blade from twisting and then filed a square hole in the saw blade, you could simply braze or even silver solder the 2 together. Now finding the right saw blade might be a little tricky. I key hole saw or drywall saw blade might work. The have large gullets to help clear the shavings.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Bowlsaw

Hi Bob! You said special weld? What kind of special weld? I'm no welder but I have friends that are professionals and could probably get the job done. The site that was listed in your first post looked to me like that it was not professionally manufactured or machine made. Maybe I'm wrong? But I think perhaps one day I shall give it a try.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

G'day, HLW. I was just doing a evaluation on the use of the bowlsaw and was guaranteed the blade was solid owing to the type of weld. You could ask to manufacturer but if you get an answer.
I'm sure you and John could come up with something similar.
The web site is being built on and as far as the product is concerned it is professionally made, easy and safe to use when following the instructions that come with the bowlsaw.

Best of luck with your efforts. bobcol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode