stabilizing wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
don716's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Georgia (USA)
Posts: 623
View don716's Photo Album My Photos
stabilizing wood

What exactly is "Stabilizing wood" and is it easy to do?Where do I get the stuff to do this with? I've got some nice pieces of spalted maple that I would like to make pens with but I'm afraid they might fly apart.

don716 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Genius
dollis's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wellsboro PA
Posts: 150
View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to dollis
Stabilized wood is wood that has been impregnated with resin to make it hard enough ans strong enough to turn on a lathe. There are several ways to make it yourself but most people just buy it ready to turn. I like it mainly because of the ease in finishing.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you
see what it costs when it's free..........P.J. O'Rourke

A man needs only two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it does not move and should, use the WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
dollis is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
View David Drickhamer's Photo Album My Photos
I've worked with different woods that need something before turning. I've used two methods to prepare this wood.
One is using Minwax Wood Hardener. Soak your wood in this for a few day and then let drain and dry before turning. You will still have to keep an eye on it and "repaint" areas as needed. You can leave it on the lathe when yo do this. (You can also use CA to touch it up)
The second way, and faster is to use a thin CA. Just keep applying untill it won't take any more. Be sure you do this in a well ventilated area. This you will also need to keep an eye on and add as needed.
A third way is to use resin and a pressure pot. I've never used this method but this is the method commercial stabilized blanks are made.
Have fun and be safe.
David Drickhamer is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wood study kit - wood samples but missing documentation jrschwit General Woodworking Discussion 11 05-13-2018 06:39 AM
Wood Working Basics for Dummies: (aka beginners) wood grain creative novice General Woodworking Discussion 4 12-31-2008 06:45 PM
stabilizing pen blanks Dvoigt General Woodworking Discussion 2 09-10-2008 09:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome