Spline (fluted) shaft from a turned dowel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

View Lloyd James's Photo Album My Photos
Spline (fluted) shaft from a turned dowel

I turned a shaft 1- 3/8 Dia., and I want to cut 12 splines along the length..
I made a fixture for making grooves with a trim router. The fixture sits and is center on the lathe bed.
I am using a small Dunlop/Sears lathe that has 60 index holes in the belt pulley. There is a pointed pin that slides slides forward to lock the chuck.
I am having trouble with this set up. Sometimes the pin just slips out of the hole.
I have tried putting a clamp on the pin and part of the rear housing. This method has worked, but is kind of crude.
Has anyone ever made an index plate to go with their lathe?
Do larger wood lathes have a way to index at different degrees of rotation?

I want to make toy tires for a skid loader design of mine. I want to make the tires with treads to look like earth moving tires.
I will slice the spline shaft like you slice a tomato, and then glue to halves together with the grooves of each half staggered to give a rough look.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 PM

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
well to start with, i love the idea of making treads on a tire, sounds really neat. most larger lathes do indeed have an indexing head. the lathe i'm using right now which is an older craftsman benchtop actually has an indexing head, it's seperated into 36 holes. I have seen plans somewhere for making you're own indexing head, however i just looked and i cannot, for the life of me, find where i saw them. it involved cutting a diameter, like 12" and then dividing it into some kind of divisible number, like 36. and drilling holes with the drill press. i really want to say that they put this indexing head on the opposite side of the headstock and they devised some kind of contraption which would catch a dowel. perhaps you could play around with it a little. other than that, i don't know what to tell ya.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
This will give you a template to make wheels or index wheel just follow instructions instead of using 14 use 12. Should also work if using Works.

Index wheel, print graph glue on plywood, drill holes, and mount on lathe with nut or chuck install you own locking device.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/index.php/t-142195.html

If glue graph to wheel wood need a jig/sled for cutting 12 flutes 15 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure what lathe man uses, thought a either Klein or Sherline lathe system. Bonnie does not sell lathes anymore but does sell index system for $20-$21 not sure if will fit Sears lathe..
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Balestreri.htm
http://www.bonnieklein.com/turning-products-list/indexing-system-for-head-stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode