Spalted mango mini mill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Spalted mango mini mill

Here is one of PSI's new mini mills done in spalted mango. Cool little idea in that you turn it between centers on a pen mandrel. Only issue I had is that the threaded shaft is too long for the cap and I had to grind away at least 3/16" to get it to fit.

Name:  78.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  78a.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  23.0 KB

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchymist For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (07-08-2012)
post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 PM

View JC WOODTURNING's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like fun. Could you have made a spacer instead of grinding down the shaft? Was the cap the whole top or just the small cap on top of the Grinding arm top?

If you are waiting for your ship to come in you must ask yourself...when was it that you sent one out?
The Following User Says Thank You to JC WOODTURNING For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, now that's pretty cool. It would be cooler in the project showcase section but it's pretty cool here too. Very nice work as usual. You Americans get all the best inserts and kits.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

JC, the large cap and handle are 1 piece, and slide over the shaft. The little cap snugs it down and adjusts the coarseness. The shaft was significantly too long.

Kenbo, you just don't give up do ya? ;-). Can you Canucks not get PSI kits? Or is it a customs/tax thing?

post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
JC, the large cap and handle are 1 piece, and slide over the shaft. The little cap snugs it down and adjusts the coarseness. The shaft was significantly too long.

Kenbo, you just don't give up do ya? ;-). Can you Canucks not get PSI kits? Or is it a customs/tax thing?
Was it the little cap that wouldn't screw down all the way? Could you have put a small wood spacer instead of grinding down the shaft? Just doesn't seam right to have to modify kit like that.

If you are waiting for your ship to come in you must ask yourself...when was it that you sent one out?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the little cap wouldn't go down far enough. There's plenty of thread so grinding it down only took a couple of minutes. I think it would look odd with a wood spacer in there.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, the little cap wouldn't go down far enough. There's plenty of thread so grinding it down only took a couple of minutes. I think it would look odd with a wood spacer in there.
You might be right but it just doesn't seam right to have to modify a standard kit. You would think if they had problems with it they would have corrected it by now. That irritates me when they sell you something you have to "alter" to make it work. Just one of my many little things I let get under my skin with kits sold today. Thanks!

post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

It's not in my nature to give up. Call it a personal quest to get all of you turners to post your projects in the showcase section so that everyone can enjoy them.

As far as PSI goes, our selection here (and I live in a major city) is limited. I can get the products on line, but we Canadians get screwed, blued and tattooed when it comes to shipping. Plus, in a lot of cases, our shipment is delayed because the government gets a hold of our package and tacks on another 13% for the Canadian HST (hated sales tax). You know, the government has to get their share. There are also customs fees involved sometimes.
Here's an example (not trying to hijack your thread)
I went to PSI's website and ordered a mechanism like you have used here in your project. Cost of the mechanism? $6.45. Once I was done with the order desk, I took a screen shot of the total cost.
Spalted mango mini mill-wow.jpg

And keep in mind, that our wonderful Canadian government can still tack another 13% on that plus customs fees. So with the 13% HST, that makes the total $36.96 and we haven't gotten to the customs fees yet. $36.96 for a $6.45 insert. Gotta love bending over and taking it up the .

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"

Last edited by Kenbo; 07-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
It's not in my nature to give up. Call it a personal quest to get all of you turners to post your projects in the showcase section so that everyone can enjoy them.

As far as psi goes, our selection here (and i live in a major city) is limited. I can get the products on line, but we canadians get screwed, blued and tattooed when it comes to shipping. Plus, in a lot of cases, our shipment is delayed because the government gets a hold of our package and tacks on another 13% for the canadian hst (hated sales tax). You know, the government has to get their share. There are also customs fees involved sometimes.
Here's an example (not trying to hijack your thread)
i went to psi's website and ordered a mechanism like you have used here in your project. Cost of the mechanism? $6.45. Once i was done with the order desk, i took a screen shot of the total cost.
Attachment 47460

and keep in mind, that our wonderful canadian government can still tack another 13% on that plus customs fees. So with the 13% hst, that makes the total $36.96 and we haven't gotten to the customs fees yet. $36.96 for a $6.45 insert. Gotta love bending over and taking it up the .

wow!

post #11 of 11 Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Maybe well have to start a turning kit smuggling ring ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (07-08-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode