Sorby easybeader - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Sorby easybeader

Has anyone used this tool? If so can you give a review of it? Thanks in advance.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Tom,
I have several of the easybeaders. They work pretty well. Depends on the wood being used. Sometimes they will take out small chips, so you end up going back with a small spindle gouge and touching up. They are a scraper, so you have to use them like one. Tilt the handle of the tool up so it is slightly higher than the tip. Move it in slowly and also slowly pivot the tools from side to side. You can sharpen them easily with a diamond hone. Just a handful of strokes on the very top surface keeping the hone flat on the surface will do it. Sorby makes two different types. I like the ones with the single point shaped cutting tip so you form half the bead at a time.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 17 Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
+1 to what Firehawk said. Also be careful to slow your speed down a bit or it can easily burn the groove (which may or may not be a bad thing, depending upon the look you're going for).

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer using a skew and spindle gouge to cut single or multiple beads including captive rings. Not a production turner so no need for beading tools. Yes, have to practice some on scrap to come back up to speed if have not turn some beads or captive rings in awhile.
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/bf_rct.htm

Deciding how many different size beading tools would need complicates life for me, so will work with tools already have.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Hamlet_M2_ Captive_Ring_Tool___m2_captive?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Sorby_Easy _Beader___sorby_ez_bead?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Henry_Tayl or_Beading_Tool___htt_beading?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Hamlet_M2_ Bead_Cutting_Tool___m2_bead?Args=
post #5 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was at Klingspor yesterday for a turning club meeting. I looked at the beader but decided not to get it. I am now looking at a spindlemaster. Any input on it?
Tom
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Is the spindle master the really shallow gouge, or is it the scraper looking tool that has just been ground like a gouge profile?

post #7 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory
Is the spindle master the really shallow gouge, or is it the scraper looking tool that has just been ground like a gouge profile?
It's a scraper looking tool ground like a gouge.
Tom
post #8 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Does it look like this? Sorby easybeader-212.jpg If this is what you're considering, I'll make you a deal on this one.

post #9 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Sorry, here's a better pic of the profile.
Sorby easybeader-212a.jpg

post #10 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, here's a better pic of the profile.
Yes and it's flat on top.
Tom
post #11 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

The reason I am considering the spindlemaster is I just read in a book that it is a combination of a skew and a spindle gouge and much easier to use than a skew. Tom
post #12 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Definitely easier than a skew. I bought this one when I was learning to turn and never really used it much. I was doing mostly pens and stoppers and found it was a little on the big side for the scale of stoppers. If you're interested, I'll let you have this one for$15+ shipping. Ill even sharpen it before i mail it. PM me if you're interested.

post #13 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Definitely easier than a skew. I bought this one when I was learning to turn and never really used it much. I was doing mostly pens and stoppers and found it was a little on the big side for the scale of stoppers. If you're interested, I'll let you have this one for$15+ shipping. Ill even sharpen it before i mail it. PM me if you're interested.
How have you sharpened it in the past? From what I have read you don't regrind the bevel, you use a diamond stone on the flat top.
If you have not reground the bevel I would be interested.
Tom
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM

I've not touched the bevel. Laid it flat on a diamond stone and touched up the flat.

post #15 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 PM

View Wood85's Photo Album My Photos
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sorby spindlemaster and I was a bit confused when the guy at the Rockler store where I got it told me that you only need to run a diamond file over the flat side and not to grind the bevel. My question is, isn't there going to come a time eventually where I'm going to have to grind the bevel to get the sharp edge back? Also, how can you use it like a skew? So far I've used it almost like gouge, but only tilting it slightly from side to side. I know there's got to be a more efficient way to use this tool! Thanks guys.

-Steve
post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood85
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sorby spindlemaster and I was a bit confused when the guy at the Rockler store where I got it told me that you only need to run a diamond file over the flat side and not to grind the bevel. My question is, isn't there going to come a time eventually where I'm going to have to grind the bevel to get the sharp edge back? Also, how can you use it like a skew? So far I've used it almost like gouge, but only tilting it slightly from side to side. I know there's got to be a more efficient way to use this tool! Thanks guys.

-Steve
Sorry I can't answer the question on how to use a skew. All I know is that it take big chunk out. That why I am looking for something else. As far as not grinding the bevel if you remove metal on top you should keep a crisp or sharp edge where the bevel meets the flat surface.
Tom
post #17 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM

View Wood85's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. The skew actually looks pretty fun to use! I've been watching a lot of Carl Jacobsen's turning videos on YouTube and he explains it pretty well. Now I just need to get some hands on training and a lot of practice! Let the good times roll!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode