Someone got a lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

View Mose's Photo Album My Photos
Someone got a lathe

It's not exactly mine but a good friend had a Shopsmith that was sitting around very lonely. So he is letting me borrow it, or at least letting me borrow it until I can get him hooked on turning.

I have only turned a couple things (a few pens and a baby rattle) but am very excited about the endless possibilities. Now I need to pick up a mandrel, bottle stopper, and chuck for bowls and what not. It came with a set of AMT tools and the Shopsmith set. All are in good shape but need a sharpening, a couple wouldn't cut at all.

I got it home last night and just had to give her a go so I made a magic wand from white oak for my daughters Halloween costume. From this I learned that thin spindles bend and make it hard to get perfect. I tried the hand on the back of the piece to stabilize it trick but it was still a little wobbly. Excuse the quality of the pics, quick phone camera.

Looking forward to putting to use the information I've learned lurking here. Thanks.

Someone got a lathe-wand1.jpg

Someone got a lathe-wand2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Sharp tools will change everything. The wand looks good though. I just feel sorry for the kid that tries to take her candy.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Optimum word here is borrowed Shopsmith. Unless going to buy that Shop smith or another one, would not buy a chuck. You can turn bowls between centers and using faceplates and waste/glue blocks. Buying a pen mandrel not a big deal. Definitely look into getting sharpening gear if don’t already have some.

Shopsmith recommends Nova G3 chuck for that lathe. G3 does not take all Nova jaw sets and limited to lathes spindles with 1” x 8TPI & ” x 16TPI lathes. Still not a bad op, just shop sales if want a Nova G3. Other small chucks will fit that lathe too! Again would not buy a chuck until buy a lathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Haven't used the Shopsmith as a lathe in a long time, since I bought the Commander-Turncrafter. Made a lot of stuff on the Shopsmith. Penn State makes a 1"-8 adapter to fit the 5/8" Shopsmith spindle. So, you can use any chuck you want.

Is that a 1 1/8 HP ? Plenty of power.

Harrison, at your service!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

View Mose's Photo Album My Photos
It is 1 1/8th hp, from what I've read it's hard to get it slow enough for some projects. (emphasis on "from what I've read")

I saw the adapter and chuck from PSI. I might get that and either re-use the chuck, or in a year or so donate it to the owner when I return the lathe if it's even that soon. $100 in adapter and inexpensive chuck is the least I can do for letting me borrow the equipment.

I'll look into the NOVA G3 when I start getting serious about a chuck, which will hopefully be very soon, thanks.

My neighbor has a sharpening set up for his lathe tools that he has generously offered for my use anytime I need. Which means I'll be over there tonight or tomorrow getting sharpened up.

Maybe I'll make her younger brother a billy club to act as the princess security detail.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode