Some of the latest shrooms. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

View Biscobob's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Some of the latest shrooms.

Just a few of my latest creations from the woodpile. The first one is a small burl I found on a piece of firewood. The second is a leftover piece from a spalted Maple log I used up, it may become another lamp, haven't decided yet. The others are from last years tree trimming at a local park. Customers seem to really like the bark inclusions and bases so I give them what they want. Sorry bout the crappy photos, battery was dead in the DSLR.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Shrooms

A piece of brevity: Back in the day (1960's) I ate a lot of dried shrooms that looked like the second one featured. What with all of the things I took, I realize that I'm lucky to have most if not all of my brain cells.

For turnings to come out of your woodpile, those are great.

Mushrooms and goblets are the things I demonstrate when going to a high school to hopefully influence some of the young people to have a good hobby for life. Make an appointment with the local woodclass teacher (if there is still such a thing) and offer to do a demo using their lathe and your other equipment. You'll be surprised at such a rapt audience, and probably be asked back again and again and again.

"As the Wood Turns"
Fine woodworking
Fine woodturning
Sapulpa, OK
post #3 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Looking good. That second one looks on the large size.

As a side note, they still had those mushrooms in the '80's okie. Don't ask how I know.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatron25 View Post
Looking good. That second one looks on the large size.

The larger ones are mostly for outside or become lamps.

As a side note, they still had those mushrooms in the '80's okie. Don't ask how I know.
Those mushrooms are still around now. I have been asked many times to help someone find them.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Forgot about this one. Just another style from same wood.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I love all of these. They look great. I was going to pick my favourite, but couldn't choose because I like them all. Great work.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM

View Dwarven1's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Dwarven1
Biscobob,

I saw your last thread on mushrooms. I just got a used Craftsman wood lathe (after ~40 years of not having one - I was a kid when Dad sold it), and after putting it together and trying some basic operations I remembered your thread and thought I'd try my hand at one. All I had in the shop was a 2x2 that had gotten ripped down from a 2x4, and I know that pine isn't exactly the best wood to turn but hey... I had a new toy.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could make a small post about the steps you go through when you do your mushrooms? Do you turn it between centers, and if so, how and when do you remove it from the ends? I didn't mean to but wound up cutting it through at the top, so I had to finish it on the belt sander.

My first modest effort at a fungus is below. As is obvious, I have a lot to learn.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

While I work on putting the post together, and maybe some pics, I can give ya a couple tips. I normally use a chuck because it is easier to finish off the top of the shroom. I also use the tailstock to hold the piece for my initial shaping. From there it is a simple matter of getting the basic shape done and prepped for sanding. I use a parting tool to cut the top, tailstock end, free. Then just cleanup the cap with a skew and scraper and start sanding. I am now down to between 10 and 20 minutes per shroom, the smaller ones and rustic ones anyway, including sanding and the first coat of oil.

Hope that helps.

BTW, be very careful roughing logs and limbs held only by the chuck if you choose to try that, you may get to see how fast your
reflexes are.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Aha... I thought it might be something like that. I may be a novice at woodturning but I've been a machinist and also used a watchmaker's lathe... which has more in common with turning wood than most folks would think!

Now... off to check the manual to see what kind of chuck will fit and where to find such a beast.

I didn't realize turning was going to be so much fun... I just got the lathe to make a Traveling Gavel for my Lodge! Instead of just buying one for $250 or more). But I really enjoyed making that mushroom.

Now my wife is making noises about how she's always wanted a matched set of wood salad bowls, too... At my skill level with wood, I'm not sure I can make TWO matched bowls yet, let alone SIX!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscobob View Post
I normally use a chuck because it is easier to finish off the top of the shroom.
Three jaw? or a four jaw? Sort of like these?

BTW... anyone have any comment on the quality of grizzly.com's stuff?

And should I start a new thread? (Since I think I just hijacked Biscobob's?)
post #11 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hijack away, besides I'm sure somewhere in the past this subject has been beat to death.

Four jaw, try holding a square object in a three jaw chuck.

I have two of those chucks your looking at and they do work and I do still use them, but I went to this: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html and things are much better now.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Are you sure those are mushrooms? A couple look something a little more "marital aid"...

Last edited by frankp; 08-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscobob View Post
Hijack away, besides I'm sure somewhere in the past this subject has been beat to death.

Four jaw, try holding a square object in a three jaw chuck.

I have two of those chucks your looking at and they do work and I do still use them, but I went to this: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html and things are much better now.

Woodcraft has their Nova Chuck for midi's on sale for $99.00

FYI Harbor Freight also has a great Rotary tool set on sale for $13.00

"As the Wood Turns"
Fine woodworking
Fine woodturning
Sapulpa, OK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode