So what is involved in a startup - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
So what is involved in a startup

If I wanted to be able to turn small stuff like pens, etc and maybe some bowls, what would I need. I cannot imagine that just buying a lathe would do it. I know I would need chisels. What else that does not come withthe lathe would I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Moo-tivation

View VaureyWWC's Photo Album My Photos
To start:
Your going to need a lathe

Then for Pens, your going to need a Pen Mandrel. These come in two variations #1 and #2 (the one you need depends on your lathe) $20-30

If doing bowls you'll need to purchase the correct chucks. These run anywhere from $30 and up!

Your going to need the Cutting tools. You can purchase a CHEAP, and I mean CHEAP set for 4.00 off of amazon but personally you need to buy a more expensive set.

You're also going to need at least: a band saw, and drill press.

Your also going to need a finish for the pens. I use CA Glue for the pens, and polish stone. Because it seems the CA Glue leaves a long sheen then the waxes.

For bowls I use a food safe wax.

Then to buy kits for the pens you have sites like Penn State Industries. Which sells a lot of Hobby stuff. They even sell blanks, if you cannot get the wood you need locally.

Uhm. I can't think of anything else. Maybe someone will be able to add something to this? I know I'm forgetting alot but you know it's early, I may remember more as the morning going on.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Sand paper, lots and lots of sand paper! Grits ranging from 60 to 800, or up to 1500 for pens if you want a perfect finish. I also use steel wool for finishing.

Safety items such as a face shield.

Tools, be sure to buy what you think you will use/need, stay away from kits, they generally aren't much cheaper and you end up not using half the tools. To start I would invest in a couple of specifics, a roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and skew for pens. A bowl gouge and round nose scraper for bowls. And a parting tool is nice to have for everything.

A pen mandrel and a self centering chuck along with a faceplate or two, and maybe a different live center to use with your pen mandrel or if you are going to do something like pepper grinders you want a nice large cone.

A grinder for sharpening if you don't have one, and a sharpening system which makes getting correct bevels on your tools a lot easier.

A broom and dustpan, you'll hopefully be making lots of chips! And plenty of scrap lumber in the form of 2x4's to practice tool control with.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Lot depends upon how much money you have to spend. Do you want a mini or full size lathe?
Neal Addy put together list of lathes look for ballpark on prices. Ask questions on any models that interested you.

http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html

You only need spindle 3/4" roughing gouge, 1/2" or 3/4" skew, and diamond parting tool for turning pens. Get full size tools even if buy a mini lathe. I learned to turn bowls with 1/2" bowl gouge some folks like 1/4" or 3/8".

Do not buy a set of tools, will come out ahead buying individual tools as you need them. Starting out inexpensive tools from http://www.pennstateind.com will serve you well they carry both spindle and bowl turning tools.

You will need a way to sharpen your tools. If do not already have a bench grinder buy one locally. I still use Wolverine Sharpening Jig for my tools. PSI sells a clone of the wolverine system.

Places you might be interested in checking out.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
http://www.packardwoodworks.com
http://www.hartvilletools.com
http://www.highlandhardware.com
post #5 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 02:43 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
The most important thing to have if you want to get into turning is a fat checking account When you get down to it, the lathe is just the start. Good advice from everyone so far. Skip tool sets. Buy individual tools as you go. The biggest advice I give to any new turner is to take a class! Having someone show you how to do something rather than trying to figure out from video is much more helpful. Also, join a local club. Again there will be lots of people who will hopefully prevent you from making the same mistakes they did. Lastly, buy (and use) a face shield.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I found many auctions on eBay for used Craftsman lathe tools -- I bought a bunch of 4 consisting of a 3/4" roughing gouge, a skew, a parting tool, and a 1/2" round-nose scraper (which I never used).

It was a cheap way to get started. They weren't in perfect condition, but neither am I

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #7 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
www.pennstateind.com They have a nice start up kit which will include a lathe,pen blanks,pen mandrel,free CD,and everything you need to get started.
Don
post #8 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

View dribron's Photo Album My Photos
If possible try turning a pen or two off a friends lathe. I spend a bit over 600.00 only to realize that I am not as excited about it as I thought I was. Now I'll most likely end up taking my loss on craigs list....
post #9 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Moo-tivation

View VaureyWWC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by don716 View Post
www.pennstateind.com They have a nice start up kit which will include a lathe,pen blanks,pen mandrel,free CD,and everything you need to get started.
Don
One thing about Penn State is when you get the order make sure EVERYTHING is there. Last shipment I got the 3 most expensive items were either broken or missing. They replaced everything no questions ask. But for now on I'll be making sure I'll order by telephone on my next orders.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 AM

Just saw this post in the classified section:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/m...22/#post223709

post #11 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory
Just saw this post in the classified section:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/m...22/#post223709
On this add he is offering a trade for a "dolemax"
What is it?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Didn't read that far

post #13 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a WoodCraft locally they should have a class on pen making. It's only a couple of hours long & not expensive. It's usually on a Saturday. You will go home with a pen you make in the class.

As far as tools for pens I usually use only a 1/2" spindle gouge & a 1/2" oval skew. I will use a parting tool if I need to make a tenon (but not always needed). Those are the 3 main tools I use to make all my pens. You will need a way to sharpen. I use a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine Jig. Very easy.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 06-24-2011 at 09:04 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
On this add he is offering a trade for a "dolemax"
What is it?
Maybe he means Dowelmax.
http://www.dowelmax.com/

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode