so tell me how to use the ca glue? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
so tell me how to use the ca glue?

i have never used it but have some coming.so if you have soft wood (punky) i assume you can put it on it to harden it right?
does it also seal the wood so it doesnt soak up so much finish?
i have so much to learn in my old age lol
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I use it fairly often but not to harden soft wood. I assume the thin CA will soak in quick and do the job. I use thinned shellac on soft wood to firm it up.
For pens or other small items it should be fine but for bowls (at $2 an ounce) it would get expensive very quickly.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert421960
i have never used it but have some coming.so if you have soft wood (punky) i assume you can put it on it to harden it right?
does it also seal the wood so it doesnt soak up so much finish?
i have so much to learn in my old age lol
thanks
There is a product called"Polycryl" that is made for harden punky and spalted wood. I have never used it but I am sure some of the experienced turner on this site have.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have used CA glue on spalted pen blanks with success. Also spot treated spalted wood spindles and bowls, not sure if accomplished much but makes me feel better.

Think Miniwax had a wood hardener product, which could never find locally been reading about for years.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-high-performance-wood-hardener?gclid=CJqyrIK786wCFQdN4AodSgruNA

Polycryl an expensive product!

http://www.preservation-solutions.com/product.php?category_id=1000&product_id=1006&sourc e=GooglePolycryl

Some people think this product is great treatment for green bowl blanks. Read where soaking entire blank best op. Sounds good but awfully expensive.
http://www.preservation-solutions.com/pentacryl-wood-stabilizer.php
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
CA is interesting stuff. The thin will penetrate punky or soft wood and harden it to make it easier to turn. It's too expensive to use for a finish except for pens.
CA does not move with the wood. Although many of us patch cracks in wood, if they are very large you may get a small gap there as the years go by due to wood movement. small cracks are easily filled with medium or thin CA.
You can pack a crack with saw dust, colored chalk, crushed stone, or metal filings and fill it with then or maybe medium CA. It looks nice if done properly.
CA becomes brittle if you use accelorator with it. It does speed up the drying time but too much accelorator and it will foam and smoke. The smoke is incredibly rough on the eyes. I use the brittleness when I make my hand mirrors. I glue a waste block to the good wood using medium CA and accelorator. Then when I finish turning the other side you can hit the block real fast and it will break the glue joint. Of course a good catch will also release the block.
Don't use CA for things that need to be permanent like glueing up segmented work or gluing rings onto solid wood. The wood movement will eventually break the joint. Use epoxy or yellow glue for this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode