Small Walnut Bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
Small Walnut Bowl

Here is a small walnut bowl. The pics. aren't the best. I believe I should have sanded it more. What type of finish would be the best for this type of bow? I used EEE ultra shine then shellawax creme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	36756  

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	36757  

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	36758  

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
See my answer to "Finishing bottle stoppers" thread.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking bowl. It is just my taste but with items which have worm holes, knots, natural edge, etc I finish in a low luster such as danish oil or shellac burnished back with 4-0 steel wool.

I believe you mentioned in a post several weeks back about mineral oil on an item for a friend at church. It may have been someone else that made that post and I saw it late. Mineral oil is really a non-drying oil. Very good for cutting boards, salad bowls, etc but will take a long long long time to dry for a normal use item. For fast drying I use shellac, can be burnished back to a dull sheen or polished to a high luster.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
nice bowl
i like the style
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Nice bowl love the natural look and defects gives it nice caritor
Sorry canny spell Beautiful Job

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies. I was the one who posted about using mineral oil. I have some bulls eye shellac, I bought it a week or so ago and haven't used it yet. I might go over it again sanding and then use shellac.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
May I ask a related question about this finish? Can you tell me how durable of a finish this would be? I am referring to the suggestion above about shellac burnished back with 0000 steel wool. Would it be reasonable to do something like this on furniture where a matte/egshell finish is desired? Looking to try to stay away from a film finish as they look too plastic for the look I am trying to acheive.

Thanks guys.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Tom,
You may get betters answers/descriptions in the “finishing” area of the forums but I have used steel wool in flat work. That is where I learned it. Almost all of the finishes that come in gloss, flat, etc have silica added to the product depending on the finish required; the higher the silica content the lower the gloss. So if you use flat you have a greater build up of the silica which diffracts the light. Some use a flat finish just for the top coat with undercoats clear. By using a high gloss and then cutting it back you can get the flat finish leaving the product free of silica. Use oil (to reduce friction) and a very light touch with the grain then wipe off. You can flatten poly the same way, make sure any finish is completely dry for flat work.
Use a high quality steel wood for uniform scratches. You are not changing the finish it is just as durable, you are just adding fine scratches to diffuse light. Frank Klausz made a very good video (1980’s) on finishing with one section on “finishing the finish” where he takes the same finish and takes it up to a piano type finish and down to a low luster.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode