just a dude
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Cincinnati, Ohio
This weekend I made some changes based on the feedback you all gave me and it has made a difference.
First, I easily adjusted the headstock so that it lined up with the tailstock and felt pretty stupid about not doing that in the first place.
I researched sharpening more, changed the bevel on the tool, and I think I've improved my technique a little there. The gouge is definitely sharper, anyway. That has allowed me to make much lighter cuts and still make progress.
Though these things made a noticeable improvement, I found that Slatron was right on - I am getting some wood movement as well.
Great advice everyone. I was pretty frustrated before but I'm beginning to feel better about it.