Silver Maple Box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
Silver Maple Box

Trying my hand at turning a box, my first. Turned from wet maple and it's 10" high. Was concerned about getting the lid cut right but was lucky it popped right on. Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01856.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	3813  

Name:	DSC01857.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	3814  

Name:	DSC01858.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	3815  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Very Nice Mitch. I think I would have made the base a little wider at the bottom. It looks tippy. Sure looks like it was fun to make.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

John
Thank you John and the truth is I did consider making the base a little wider, but I usually make them too wide so I went to the narrower base. It is quite stable though. funny thing about this John is when this was sitting on my desk drying I wondered about putting a live light bulb in the form. I came on this page and saw your rendering of a doll house lamp. Beautiful. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch I fuss over the size of a base on every project I do. Maybe someday I'll get one I really think works. I have a habit of looking at every piece and trying to figure out what would make it better. That keeps me looking for the next piece because I can then see all the problems with other pieces.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

John
I believe I understand exactly what you are saying here cause I do the same thing.Talking about bases I recently turned a lamp I want to paint shinny black and the base is rather an uninspired hunk of wood that is too thick. I been thinking of cutting the height in half and turning it like an upside down platter would look, glue the lamp to the platter. My problem is I always think whatever I turn isn't good enough to post but most people are kind in the way they review your turnings. Thanks John Mitch
post #6 of 9 Old 06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch if someone says a turning is crap or i would do it this way or that way, then let them, the only person that needs to be bothered is you, and if selling the person who might buy it. Its always nice to get people to say yes it great, brill form and on and on. If you always feel something is not good enough thats good, as it makes you strive for something better, and this is what will make you better, some people can take there time to develope, its fine to have the tallent to turn, but imagination is something eles this to needs to develope, the only way is by having a go, i sit with a sketch book when relaxing and doodle with shapes and ideas that come from other ideas. At the end of the day if you get enjoyment from turning thats what it is all about, its good to earn something from it. My wifes father is 80 and the last 2 years i have been teaching him bits, he loves turning nothing special but he enjoys doing it, gives the stuff away to friends. Your turnings are changing and you are improving from when i first seen your posting mitch. If you have a thurst for something it comes. i keep telling myself that too. Hows the wife now mitch. LB
post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

LB
Hey Mate thanks for the encouraging reply. It's nice to get encouragement from a friend that you know is very good in the business of turning or anything else for that matter. You know LB your the only guy I know that is a turner that I could go to to talk about turning. I don't know a single person that turns.I need to figure it out myself so this holds me back some.Yourself and John Lucas have been a great help to me because of your knowledge and willingness to share. I'm no kid anymore at 74. Don't have enough time left to learn enough. I know your father in law probably thinks well of you for helping him keep his mind working. I was always used to competing with intelligent young engineers in my business and this kept my mind busy. Today it is hard to keep your mind sharp because of less activity etc. Turning is my escape from boredom since retiring. I love it and want to be good. Thanks for asking about the wife, she is very well recently. I am thankful for that because we went through 15 years of her heart troubles then mine. Now the poor girl is finally getting a break.She always backed me in everything I ever did. Listen, you take care, tell your wife I asked about her and keep making them boxes so I can copy a few. wink. I finished one to be painted today, for practice. I want to ask you something about the lid but not just yet. I think I am doing it wrong but they come out good. I intend to make the next one using the way I think is correct to see which is best for me. Then I am going to see what your opinion might be. Take care. Mitch
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 AM

View Tdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking piece!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Tdragon
Thanks Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode