Should I Try a Segmented Bowl Build Thread?Also? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Should I Try a Segmented Bowl Build Thread?Also?

Inspired by others on this forum, I was thinking about doing a segmented bowl build thread myself. I was thinking I'd wait until a do a few more turnings and have gained more experience. I've done several coopered cylinder turnings that became humidors, urns, cove molding, curved drawer fronts, etc. But these twobowls that I did the last couple of days are my first using the stacked segmented ring method.

I've got a lot of experience with different aesthetic laminating techniques that I want to incorporate into this genre..

I built a really nifty strap ring clamp that allows me to quickly glue up individual rings and press them flat simultaneously. With Titebond II I found thhat I can get the ring out of the clamp in about fifteen minutes which allowed me to build the bowl with the diamond pattern from rough lumber to finished bowl within an eight hour day. I was a litle worried about the cure time an was ready for the thing to blow up on the lathe but it held togehter.

I turned a burl lid for the one but I don't like it on that bowl. I'll save it and use it on something else.

Let me know if you want to see more.

Bret.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140331.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	38381  

Name:	P2140333.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	38382  

Name:	P2140335.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	38383  

Name:	P2140336.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	38384  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Your Ready even if it doesn't go as planned the first time the experience you gain out ways a failure. There are no Problems or Mistakes only Situations you overcome. The biggest Mistake you can make is not trying

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Dude, that's just not fair. Those are awesome, but I do agree the top belongs on something else.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

It might depend on the size and shape of the item, but how thin can you go on these segmented turnings before they fly apart?

Bret
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 AM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Ranch View Post
Should I Try a Segmented Bowl Build Thread?Also?
Definitely yes! Your build threads are great. I'd love to see what you come up with.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
those bowls are awesome
yea i think you should do it
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
That is some great work and I would love to see a build thread from you. There are more than one way to accomplish something and I would love to see your method.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I'm game. I always enjoy your builds.
Although it makes my stuff look like junk, but still enjoy.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

View cabomhn's Photo Album My Photos
I say go for it! It's cool to see how others do things to learn new/different ways to accomplish tasks.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabomhn View Post
I say go for it! It's cool to see how others do things to learn new/different ways to accomplish tasks.
What got me thinking about this was watching your build thread. I am no expert on the subject of segmented turned bowls. I've started another bowl and I am taking a lot of pics. We'll see how it goes.

Bret
post #11 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, most definately do it. I love these build threads. I want to start trying some segmented stuff here in the near future and I love seeing how these come together. If 10 people started a build thread on the same project, I bet no two would be the same. Everyone has thier own tricks or way they go about something and its cool to see how you guys do these.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #12 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

OK, I'm caving to peer pressure. I going to do a Highlights build tread. No sense rehashing everything Cabomhn has covered so well already.

I'm going to make a 12" diameter shallow bowl similar in design to the last bowl I made with the little diamonds between two bands of walnut. First thing is to make the little diamond pieces. Start with material that is 3/4" x 1-3/4" and cut a "V" groove in each edge with the table saw set at a 45 degree bevel as in the photo. Then rip the piece into two equal halves, cut a square piece for the diamond out of contrasting wood. Then glue the two halves together sandwiching the contrasting square piece in the middle. Then carefully trim the twos sides to get the diamond perfectly centered once the glue has set. Should end up as a square stock exactly the same thickness as the material you will build the rings out of.

With a high tech compass (pencil and a stick with holes drilled in it) make a cheater board to measure the length of the ring segments depending on the diameter. I also did a little transection drawing on Sketchup to roughly work out the rings stacking profile. Remembering to compensate for the little diamond blocks where you have them, cut the ring sections. I decided on eight sides. The number of sides is up to the maker. I chose eight because it's easy for me. Cabomhn's 16 sided vase looks very cool, but eight would have worked too.

I use the crosscut sled on the table saw with an auxiallry fence set at 22.5 degrees and use 3/4" x 2" stock for the segments. The first ring has pretty short segments so I just mark a pencil line on the sled and slide the end of the workpiece up to the line and just let it fall away when it's cut rather than trying to hold such a small piece. Worked fine. I use a stop block clamped to the fence for the longer pieces that I can hold on to.

Next post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2150338.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	38480  

Name:	P2150337.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	38481  

Name:	P2150339.jpg
Views:	2788
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	38482  

Name:	P2150340.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	38483  

Name:	P2150341.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	38484  

post #13 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Oh, now that I think about it, the rings with the diamond blocks have sixteen pieces but the diamond blocks are not beveled so the angle is still 22.5.

Now her is my strap clamp gadget for quickly pulling the rings together then flattening then out with a clamp in the other direction. It's all made from lacquered plywood so the glue won't stick to it. There are two ferrule rollers set at 1/4" apart where the strap feeds through so the strap slides easily. I set all the segments for one ring in a neat row and quickly glue all the edges then throw them in the clamp and "zip" tight as a drum. Then I use a deep f clamp and a plywood disk to flatten it all out. I leave it clamped for 15 - 20 minutes then repeat. They aren't all perfectly flat and I still working on that problem. I've been touch sanding the faces of the rings on a horizontal edge sander prior to gluing the stack together.

Until the next post, bonus notches. Bret
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2150342.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	38485  

Name:	P2150344.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	38486  

Name:	P2150347.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	38487  

Name:	P2150348.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	38488  

Name:	P2150349.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	38489  

post #14 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
You'd think that with the type of furniture that you build, there'd be NO time for turning stuff...

I could be wrong!

Thanks Bret!

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #15 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpaulie View Post
You'd think that with the type of furniture that you build, there'd be NO time for turning stuff...

I could be wrong!

Thanks Bret!:thum

p
No paying work right now. I was building some chairs and got bored and set them aside. Then I got into this segmented bowl thing. As soon as I have a paying customer it all goes to the back burner. I call it semi-retirement.

Bret
post #16 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I had a chance to finish the bowl today and I came up with some innovations, most notably using my Lancelot chain saw carver to carve the bowl. I mounted the angle grinder to the tool rest and roughed out both the inside and outside by moving the Lancelot into the wood in small increments and then turning the bowl with my hand. This is the first time I've tried this and I have to say that it worked great.

I'll add more comment later after I get back from playing racquetball.

Bret
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2160352.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	38526  

Name:	P2160353.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	38527  

Name:	P2160354.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	38528  

Name:	p2160351.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	38531  

post #17 of 18 Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM

View mijunkin's Photo Album My Photos
Extreme turning!
post #18 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijunkin View Post
Extreme turning!
Actually just the opposite. I was looking for a low impact way of shaping the bowl on a very short glue up turn around time of about an hour. Spinning it violently on the lathe and hitting it with a big gouge didn't seem low impact at all. The Lancelot was a very gentle way to shape out the bowl.

The biggest problem for me was getting the ring assemblies so they would stack evenly. My free handed touch sanding method left something to be desired and I had a couple of gaps between the rings that I had to fill with glue and sawdust. I don't have a drum sander. Maybe I'll try to make one.

Any ideas there?

Bret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode