Shop time - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Shop time

I was just wondering about how much time you get to spend in the shop turning on a weekly basis? I myself wish I could do this everyday but other duties take priority. I try to work on something at least 2 days during the week and most all the weekend. I spent this evening mowing and cutting a few bowl blanks. I'm also working on putting a finish on a few bowls. It's a time consuming process.It usually takes about a week to get the finish on right. It's WOP.
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I live in my shop, 60-80 hours a week.

It's a job.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
I spend all day in an office setting, jones-ing for an opportunity to get to the garage/shop...

Fortunately, the Boss quilts and sews, so she retires to her space and me, mine...

We car-pool most days for our +/- 100mi round trip.

I do get to spend 2-3 hours in the evening and 6-8 hrs on the weekends doing fun stuff*...

Guess that comes out to about 16-24 hrs/week.

p

*I also like to play with firearms, reload, etc...
Helps being able to shoot in the yard.

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Shop time

Well being I'm retired an lazy,I don't have any certain amount of time I spend there.To me its a fun thing as I just have to be doin something. and just like to make things.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I try and get 1-3 hours several days during the week and longer on weekends. Wifey is training for her 2nd Ironman triathlon so she's out running/riding all day on the weekends, so I get plenty of guilt free shop time.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i will spend a couple hrs a day about 3 days a week plus a little more on weekends.but this will slow as weather warms
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Between a full time job, a 2 year old daughter, and a pregnant wife, I don't get much shop time, but I'm not complaining either, plenty of time in the future for that!

Still I'd say I get in about 1 to 2 hours an evening during the week, and maybe 4 or 5 hours on a weekend, so upward of 12 to 15 hours a week. Just enough to scratch the itch so to speak.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM

View BarkEateR's Photo Album My Photos
id say i get 1-2 hours a week day and my day off on thursday i get 8 and on the weekend 4 hours a day so i consider myself lucky with a 2 and a 3 year old and a wife that doesnt get the joy of woodturning........................p.s. glidden im sorry if your signature is real but thats one of the funniest things iv read in a long time

knee deep in shavings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode