Shop photos - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

View Wooduse's Photo Album My Photos
Shop photos

I have just moved into a new house. It has 3 acres and on the lake. It also has an old wood shop. I'm cleaning it out now. It is full of junk. Old paint cans and other junk. It has electricity and water. So I'm going to fix it up as my new shop. I was looking for pictures trying to see how I should set up. I have some ideas but, would like to see what all of you professionals have done with your home shops. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
Hi! I think you will find this thread quite useful http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/show-us-your-shop-73/ There are pages and pages of pictures of peoples shops. some professionals, some the home hobbyists. Sounds like you've acquired an awesome piece of property. lets see a picture of the new shop, as awful as it might look.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
The Following User Says Thank You to tymann09 For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (04-22-2012)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 PM

View davidpensfan87's Photo Album My Photos
I would highly recommend having the workbench double as the out feed table for the table saw. That saves so much space, and allows for more storage underneath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think I would put my workbench as the table saw outfeed. When I'm working on a project the pieces and/or sub assemblies are usually on the workbench. I'd have to move them just to cut the next long board.
Here is a shot of my shop as it was. It's even more crowded now since I have 2 new power tools, a Permformax 16/32 belt sander and a Rigid oscilling drum sander. There is also a motorcycle that has to live in there. It's a little cramped.
http://woodcentral.com/shots/shot804.shtml
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i have to agree with john
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
workbench as outfeed?

Yes and No. No, if you have enough space to keep them separate. Yes, an assembly bench, rather than a work bench "can" work as an outfeed table, but believe me you are constantly moving things around to make one more cut. BTDT See My Photos 12" triple saw album.
A work bench to hammer, chisel and plane on needn't be huge, but it must be "immovable" or heavy enough so it won't or can't move as in screwed to a wall. The vise(s) and other heavy operations should be separate from the assembly table. This bench is more often used with hand tools when working in wood. In my case I have a wood only bench and a metal bench, each is separate and in different shop areas. I do a fail amount of welding and grinding and wrenching on stuff.
Some guys here, Lola Ranch aka Bret use a much lower assembly bench, about 18" off the floor, because of the nature of the projects they make; like furniture.
Then you can have a finishing table for staining, spraying and painting. This can be just 2 sawhorses with plywood resting on top or spaced out strips to allow the paint to fall through.
A simple way ro plan a shop is to scavange some large cardboard boxes from an appliance store and label them as power tool (tablesaw) workbench (wood) drillpress according to the amount of floorspace each tool requires. Change them around until you get a plane that makes sense.Also look a how others have arranged their power tools for movement around each tool as well as support for long workpieces.
A table saw will require a space 20ft long by 6 ft wide to rip a 4 X 8 ft sheet of plywood if you count walking around space.
Some guys hear break down the plywood outside thew shop on saw houses and strips before it comes into the shop....lots of double measuring and a very straight guide is required for accuracy.
Let's see some "before" shop photos? Door and windows play a very important role in the layout. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode