Sharpening - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Sharpening

We do all sharpen our tools, but I'm wondering about the turning chisels in particular. All of the videos seem show a different jig or home-grown contraption to get these things sharp. They all seem to get pieces roughed down way faster than me, so I'm thinking that I just don't have a good edge on my tools. Since you all know far more about it than me, what do you use? I did pick up an 8" wetstone grinder from HF, but I don't know the best way to get all of my angles right. So far, I've just copied the angle that came on the tool and given a light sharpen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
We do all sharpen our tools, but I'm wondering about the turning chisels in particular. All of the videos seem show a different jig or home-grown contraption to get these things sharp. They all seem to get pieces roughed down way faster than me, so I'm thinking that I just don't have a good edge on my tools. Since you all know far more about it than me, what do you use? I did pick up an 8" wetstone grinder from HF, but I don't know the best way to get all of my angles right. So far, I've just copied the angle that came on the tool and given a light sharpen
You probly need a different wheel for the grinder like a white wheel . I think it is a 600 grit if i recall . This is what i use for my turning tool's . You get the feel for sharping them. Get some u tube video's on sharping turning tool's and plane's blades the angle's . Their are lot's of jig's out their. I don't have any of them some may be work having ?? Some one else will chime in for their idea's
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
The New Guy

A white wheel huh? Mine is definitely not white. It's whatever came with it. I assumed the wheels were all pretty much the same. That's what I get for assuming I guess. Will definitely look into a better wheel. Thanks for the quick response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
A white wheel huh? Mine is definitely not white. It's whatever came with it. I assumed the wheels were all pretty much the same. That's what I get for assuming I guess. Will definitely look into a better wheel. Thanks for the quick response.
the better grinder would be a 6" that is my opion. the bigger wheel the out side run's faster and can burn tool quicker of course it can burn on a 6 also. If they have a 6" i my self would trade ?? here is a link about grinding wheels . Their are lot's of colors and each does a different job http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Grinding_Wheel.htm
post #5 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a good reference on why angles (particularly bowl) are ground the way they are.
http://www.woodturningdesign.com/askdale/14/14.shtml
It would help if you gave a link to your grinder or posted a picture.
An 8 is fine and is preferred by many turners (the one I use is shop built about 30 years ago). Most 8 turn at the 1750rpm rather than the 3500rpm of most 6 grinders. Most 8 also come with 1 wide wheels and 6 with wheels.
The white wheels are friable, meaning that the surface wears and stays cooler. Yours probably came with a standard gray wheel. It is much easier to blue (burn) the cutting edge with the gray wheels. I would keep one gray for rough work such as lawn mower blades or other items. My main sharpening wheel is 100 grit. I think most turners use either 80 or 100 but some have much lower for initial shaping and use the higher (up to 120) for sharpening. JMHO but a 600 grit is very very fine.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
The New Guy

The one I have is basically this one. Different paint, and a different button, but mechanically the same most likely. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...der-35098.html
post #7 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Many turners prefer water wheel sharpening their tools. If had room for one would like a TormeK with all the jigs to go along with my dry bench grinder.

I use 46 grit Norton K wheels for repair edge or changing bevel angles, and Norton 80 or 100 grit K wheel for sharpening. K wheels tad harder than white wheels so do not load up as much.

I have had great service from these folks for both white and blue K wheels.
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Grinding-Wheels-C20.aspx?UserID=21740391&SessionID=ArG59Kqb6HrERkG u1UmJ

Also Hartville Tool often runs sales on their Norton wheels.

So check around for best prices!

Friable wheels come in white, pink, and blue. Would not pay more for Norton Blue I wheel over Norton white.

I have used Camel or CGW, (pink) Norton white & blue, Pacific white, and another brand cannot think of.

Do not sell friable wheel in my town so look for best price on wheels and shipping.

I would look into a sharpening jig which will give you repeatability every time you sharpen your tools. I have a Wolverine system and recommend it but there are others out there shop around.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I'm not a fan of water wheel sharpening. If I was using only jigs then I might be. However I sharpen about half my tools just using the tool rest and my hands. I do so by watching the sparks come over the edge. Then I know my tools are sharp. I can't see any sparks on a wet wheel. Feel free to check out all of my videos on tool techniques. If you have a specific question on sharpening I may be able to make a short video to answer that question although it might take a few days since I work a full time job.
You can of course build your own jigs. There are some good videos on you tube that show you how they did it. I use the Oneway sharpening system with the Wolverine jig. You can buy those from Woodcraft.com www.woodturnerscatalog.com and other places.
Here are a couple of videos showing how I sharpen some tools.'

post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
John you have some great video's. Thanks for taking the time to put them together and also sharing.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Get the Wolverine Vari Grind jig. By far the best, easiest system I've used.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #11 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM

View paintr56's Photo Album My Photos
We are just getting into turning and the sharpening has been our biggest hold up. We picked up the Wolverine Vari Grind jig.= as mentioned by sawdustfactory. Couldn't be happier.

Jim Bunton

The Ten Commandments contain 297 words. The Bill of Rights is stated in 463 words. Lincoln's Gettysburg Address contains 266 words. A recent federal directive to regulate the price of cabbage contains 26,911 words. - Atlanta Journal
post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I too have the Wolverine system and love it. I just got the skew grinding attachment for Christmas and it is awesome.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #13 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
The New Guy

*note to self* Before asking question, just google "youtube john lucas (random problem)"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode