Setting up shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

View WoodBen's Photo Album My Photos
Setting up shop

Have been doing some research on stationary power tools I'll need for turning. So far, I am thinking Delta 46-460 lathe, Ryobi DP121L bench drill press, Rikon 300 band saw. Anyone got anything they would recommend over and above these? Anything I need to be concerned about with these choices, or can I buy with confidence?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Location: Otautahi , Te WahiPounamu ( Christchurch , New Zealand)
View Manuka Jock's Photo Album My Photos
Something to sharpen your tools on .
A dual wheel bench grinder , with top quality stones ,
or if you prefer , a belt sander style unit .
The Following User Says Thank You to Manuka Jock For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
i would go with a better drill press. ryobi is bargin basement tools, ive never had any luck with them.
give these a look. http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=380000
even craftsman would be a better choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack warner For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBen View Post
Have been doing some research on stationary power tools I'll need for turning. So far, I am thinking Delta 46-460 lathe, Ryobi DP121L bench drill press, Rikon 300 band saw. Anyone got anything they would recommend over and above these? Anything I need to be concerned about with these choices, or can I buy with confidence?
Thanks.

Here's a good deal on a lathe. Another feature is it goes down to 150 RPMs for roughing out larger stock, variable speed, and 106 lbs.. Bought this for my wife and she's a beginner. She's learning little by little...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

Harrison, at your service!
The Following User Says Thank You to H. A. S. For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have not used that exact Delta but I have never heard a bad word about it. And there have been LOTS of reviews on forums about it.
As to the drill press, is it just for pen blanks or similar? I haven’t done pens but I do need to drill fairly often and I just use a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock (about $30).
This guy has a review and some of the “cons” doesn’t sound too good to me.
http://www.joeswoodstuff.com/reviews.htm

Are you going to use the band saw for rounding bowl blanks? I see it is a 10” band saw, 10” is the width of the item, not the depth. Total depth of cut is only 3-3/8”; a 14” band saw will normally cut up to 6” thick. Rikon is good quality but this is a small band saw with only 1/3 hp motor.
For rounding logs (cutting off the worst corners) I use an electric chainsaw. Mine is a cheap Polulan ($60 on sale) but it has worked fine for a couple of years. A decent quality electric would probably run about $150. No, the blanks are not completely round but that doesn’t take long on the lathe.

I have a Nova 1624 lathe and it is super. If they are available for sale, Nova just reintroduced it Comet lathe. $500. There are no reviews on it yet as it is brand new but I like their idea of using the outboard as a hand wheel or p.t.o. It has about eight optional accessories for the outboard side.
http://woodworkersjournal.com/awfs/index.php/novas-mini-comet-lathe-accepts-grinding-sanding-attachments/#.Tiilo_VRdXA.facebook
http://www.teknatool.com/products/catalogue/10182_Nova%20Catalog%20USA_2011_web.pdf

Just my opinion of course.

You will probaby want a chuck fairly soon. Plan on about $125 for a smaller but good quality.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I set up my shop last year and went with the 46-460. I don't have anything to compare it with but it does what I need it to do. It has enough power to turn anything that will fit on it as long as you dont cut too aggressively on the larger blanks. I got a 14" jet bandsaw with a 12" riser block which comes in handy a lot for me. I have made do with a jacobs chuck so far but a 12" drill press it on my list (but I honestly haven't needed it much). I tried to get by with sharpening freehand on a belt sander. Turns out I'm not nearly that talented. An 8" grinder with good wheels and a Wolverine jig is a pretty safe bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonanza35 For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
i just purchased the sharp tool sharpening system for 199$ at woodcraft and that thing is awesome. I can do my lathe tools down to my chisels and my hand plane blades. Its fast and my tools have never been sharper! having a good sharpening system is key to turning wood, especially when you start working with figured wood and burls!!
The Following User Says Thank You to brown down For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I've turned on at least 4 of the Delta's. Great lathes and I just ordered one for my self. The Penn State lathe on the other hand has problems. One of our club members put 2 motors and 2 drives on it and it still doesn't work right. He said he talked to several other people who also had various problems. I haven't heard that about the Delta.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
WoodBen (07-24-2011)
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks! Lots to consider!

As to the drill press, is it just for pen blanks or similar?
Primarily pen blanks, yes. Picked this one for the length of travel, and apparent quality from forum discussions. But I'd like to have one for general use on other stuff as well.

I haven’t done pens but I do need to drill fairly often and I just use a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock (about $30).

This sounds like a good investment too, even if I do decide to get a drill press. For $30, how could I go wrong in having the extra option?

This guy has a review and some of the “cons” doesn’t sound too good to me.
http://www.joeswoodstuff.com/reviews.htm

Are you going to use the band saw for rounding bowl blanks? I see it is a 10” band saw, 10” is the width of the item, not the depth. Total depth of cut is only 3-3/8”; a 14” band saw will normally cut up to 6” thick. Rikon is good quality but this is a small band saw with only 1/3 hp motor.

I hadn't really thought much about doing bowls... I guess I got a little bit of tunnel vision thinking about spindle work. Will giv ethis some more thought. Thanks.

For rounding logs (cutting off the worst corners) I use an electric chainsaw. Mine is a cheap Polulan ($60 on sale) but it has worked fine for a couple of years. A decent quality electric would probably run about $150. No, the blanks are not completely round but that doesn’t take long on the lathe.

I have a Nova 1624 lathe and it is super. If they are available for sale, Nova just reintroduced it Comet lathe. $500. There are no reviews on it yet as it is brand new but I like their idea of using the outboard as a hand wheel or p.t.o. It has about eight optional accessories for the outboard side.
http://woodworkersjournal.com/awfs/index.php/novas-mini-comet-lathe-accepts-grinding-sanding-attachments/#.Tiilo_VRdXA.facebook
http://www.teknatool.com/products/catalogue/10182_Nova%20Catalog%20USA_2011_web.pdf

Just my opinion of course.

You will probaby want a chuck fairly soon. Plan on about $125 for a smaller but good quality.[/QUOTE]

I am seeing more and more discussion and info about chucks, so I think you're right. I am adding that to the WISH LIST.

Thanks for some great info!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown down View Post
i just purchased the sharp tool sharpening system for 199$ at woodcraft and that thing is awesome. I can do my lathe tools down to my chisels and my hand plane blades. Its fast and my tools have never been sharper! having a good sharpening system is key to turning wood, especially when you start working with figured wood and burls!!

Oh cool!!! I like this idea! Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode