Selling Pens - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

View STL_apprentice's Photo Album My Photos
Selling Pens

I know many of you on here sell your pens. How did you get started, who do you sell them to? Do you sell them to retailers?

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM

View jantzadam's Photo Album My Photos
I myself just started making them and making a display set of about 20 that a couple of months cuz I was figuring out how to get the finish I wanted and what tools worked good for what, and I sell to a retailer about 30 miles away and to local butcher shops where I sell antler pens.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I sell all my stuff at a local artist's market. I have a small rack that I made to display my pens; it holds 14 of 'em, and that's about all I usually have on hand.

I'm not a big fan of making pens, so I don't have too many. I usually sell them for about $20 because I don't do anything fancy, and, frankly, I'm not great at making pens. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM

View jantzadam's Photo Album My Photos
I have a thread on here of some of my acrylic, I think I produce some nice products :P
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Road Trip

For some reason that I dont understand, I have difficulty selling pens to anyone who isn't working at some type of professional jobs.

First choice: Bank Branches--Walk into a bank and ask one of the tellers to break a $20 for you and say by the way, I make these pens and would like to know if you are interested? I'll usually have a price tag on my pens about twice what I actually want to sell them for. If someone really likes one, tell them you'll give a 50% discount to bank employees because you really like this bank.

Large Medical Offices. Same thing

Police Dept's and Highway Patrol--Bullet pens with a combination of deer Antler and gabon Ebony (black and white) If the Police Chief is friendly, give one to him and he will without you asking, be showing it off to other officers and hand out your business cards. I get a few orders a month from the Police and the Troopers.
While visiting a relative (wink, wink) at the hospital go to the nursing station.

I made a road trip in 1992 around Colorado and Northern New Mexico going to Galleries located in tourist traps. If the quality of your work is excellent, you can usually consign your pens and see if they sell. If not, put them somewhere else in the same region. I have 2 galleries that I supply. One in Taos (high end) sells about 10 to 15 per month, and she pays off like a slot machine. The other is in So. Central Colorado (high end) and she does me good by selling Deer Antler Pens, and Bullet Pens with Deer Antler. She pays well and if she gets the asking price, she gets 25 to 30%

That's the way I started back when the only kits available were a rollerball, and slimline pen and pencil kits available and most of them from Great Britian. Hope it helps.

"As the Wood Turns"
Fine woodworking
Fine woodturning
Sapulpa, OK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode