self-powered sanding devices - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

View D. Frana's Photo Album My Photos
self-powered sanding devices

I'm thinking about getting one of the self-powered sanding devices such as the sorby sandmaster or the skilton sander. What are your opinions on them? I mostly turn small to medium sized boxes and bowls. How do they compare to the drill-driven method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think they compare at all. I made one. For my hand mirrors they don't work well at all. The slower middle area of the mirror just doesn't turn it affectively. I can sand faster by hand. On bowls is does better but I don't think it begins to match my drill. I just use a Dewalt $60 drill. I burned up several skill and off brand cheapies that were in the $30 to $40 range. They just don't hold up. I've been using this one for 6 years. I do have to use 2 hands, it's not a one hand holder like the angled drills but then it cost less than half and I feel I have much better control with 2 hands anyway.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
enertia or random elliptical sanders

With these sort of sanders you need speed and they are not suited to every application. I do mainly bowls and have found them very handy.In fact I have 4-5 of them right down to the smallest with a 1" head for sanding inside small HF bowls. Having seen Johns mirrors I not surprised they dont work effectively for him.

But as I said you need speed to drive them effectively, I typically sand around 800-1200 rpm on my bowls etc.This gives the driving power required to sand effectively.

Theres a few tricks to getting the best out of them, one is to cut your paper an 1/8 to 1/4wider than the sanding pad. This protects the velcro pad from the feathering effect as you work across your job.

Ok you will get heat build up, but I rarely have enought heat to split or crack the bowl as yet and internally I often use compressed air to blow out the dust and cool at the same time.If I place the shop vac in the right place it darn near gets all the dust as it comes out.

hughie

post #4 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have one of those sander and haven't used it in a long time. Even a shallow bowl is almost impossible to use on the inside center.
I use a 90* attachment with a standard drill. So far no harm to the drills, I assume low price drills give up easily due to the side pressure on the bearing (instead of straight in while drilling).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Glad someone asked about Sorby Sand Master. I have been looking at them going back and forth over getting one or Hook & Loop pads similar to this one:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fp50200/

Of course confused also have Sponge pads too.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fr71002/

Sand Master, Hook & Loop and Sponge pads on same page. Scalloped Discs on previous page in catalog have 60 to 400 grit in either 10 or 50 packs.

Already have electric drill so leaning toward anything with hook & loop set up. Has to beat my well worn 105mm canister felt pads with sandpaper wrapped around them.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I use a 90* attachment with a standard drill. So far no harm to the drills, I assume low price drills give up easily due to the side pressure on the bearing (instead of straight in while drilling
I bought an el cheapo pistol drill for less that $20 thinking the same and the darn thing wont die . The bearings are sloppy and it just keeps going, 4 years now.
As you have noticed that the centre of a bowl can be an issue. Its here I use my power drill. But for else where the enertia sander works well for me, especially of larger diameter bowls.

hughie
post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
This is the type attachment I use for a standard drill
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=2118073
Just my opinion, I would go with hook & loop instead of PSA. For me, it can be difficult to remove a PSA disc and keep it clean to reuse. With hook & loop it is not a problem.
For my pads and disc I go to Vinces. http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/store/
I use the 2 3/8 Blue Flex Disc but others are available. At 25 for $4 they are a good value. He also carries "starter kits".

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Well I guess this thread killed my desire to buy one those things. I also have been using a drill with a hook and loop adapter. Oh and the green sandpaper from woodcraft. Stay away from the woodcraft brand of paper for those sanding pads.

Tim
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I use these pads from CraftsuppliesUSA http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...c_holders?Args=
and I get the scalloped edge discs from Klingspor
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kd54100/

I like the scalloped edge and they seem to be very good quality paper.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM

View prestonbill's Photo Album My Photos
I bought this at harbor freight a while back and it works great for the center of the bowl and of course the rest of it also. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-ang...der-93629.html
I turn down the air and go to town. I use Cera-Max discs from here
http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/store/. Great product.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the same sander from Harbor Freight works great.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for link to VincesWoodNWonders!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
One of the best things I've done regarding sanding turnings is to buy a sanding mandrel for each grit. It doesn't wear out the velcro and since my drill has a keyless chuck changing the grits (mandrel) is very fast.
I love the mandrels from Vince's woodnwonders as well as his blue discs. I clean them with one of the crepe rubber cleaners and they last much longer than any other discs I've used.
I have heard the reason that drills don't last for sanding is they weren't designed for continuous use. don't know if that true but I've read it several times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode