Segmented Bowl Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

View Dale W.'s Photo Album My Photos
Segmented Bowl Question

So last week I turned my first segmented bowl from some scrap wood for practice. It turned out ok but something wasn't quite right when I put the rings together and it did not turn out like my sketch and I think it may have been due to segment calculations. To do the calculations I used Marleyturned.com. Hopefully I can explain my question well enough for ya'll to understand.

Let's say the segments are 3/4 inch high. The diameter of the ring is 4 inches when measured along the bottom of the segment and 4 1/2 inches when measured along the top of the segment. What number do I enter as diameter? Would it be the minimum diameter, maximum diameter, or an average? I think this is where my problem came from last time so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....25741677508517

Walkthrough from Marley himself explaining how to use his utility.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

well I have watched the tutorial before and I watched it again and it still does not help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM

View Major's Photo Album My Photos
I didn,t watch the tutorial,but have you tried sketching the form on graph paper?Diameter should be the easy part. The graph paper will give you the width of the board..Hope this helps.
Maj
post #5 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

well better than sketching it on graph paper I am drawing it with Google Sketch up which is drafting freeware and seems to be pretty accurate. I am going to try and make a screen shot to post then perhaps it will be more helpful. There has to be something I just am not seeing that hopefully ya'll will .
post #6 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I just draw mine on paper and measure by hand. I'm not a computer person.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
I usually count on a large degree of loss on my final turning, so I usually take my largest diameter and add about a quarter inch, and then from there figure out how much I need to over lap the next ring down by, and add a quarter inch to that dimension. A lot of what I do is by guess and by golly though, and using the segment calculator on my smart phone.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM

View mark81253's Photo Album My Photos
You can buy this software for about $45 and it will practically do the job for you. I bought one and I highly recommend it.

http://www.segmentedturning.com/sppdetails.htm

Mark

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale W. View Post
Let's say the segments are 3/4 inch high. The diameter of the ring is 4 inches when measured along the bottom of the segment and 4 1/2 inches when measured along the top of the segment. What number do I enter as diameter? Would it be the minimum diameter, maximum diameter, or an average? I think this is where my problem came from last time so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale
Umm, looking at the drawings on Marley's website, the diameter is the outside diameter of the the ring that will be made up of the segments. The inside diameter is a product of the outside diameter and the wall thickness. The diameter that you enter will be the widest portion of that ring. Anything less would result in a smaller ring which would drastically change the shape of your design. In your example, use 4 1/2" for the diameter and 1/2" for the thickness. Unless you're me, then use 4 5/8 for the diameter and 3/4 for the thickness, so that when you screw up, you've got enough material left to fix it.

Last edited by Itchytoe; 03-26-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Because "If you example" doesn't really make much sense, even to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode