Second Segmented Piece (Vase) - Build thread - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

View cabomhn's Photo Album My Photos
Second Segmented Piece (Vase) - Build thread

Hey guys. This piece that I'm starting is my second segmented projected, and probably my 7th turning project overall. I tried a segmented piece about a month ago and I LOVED it. I don't have any pictures since I was on a crunch for time for christmas gifts and I didn't snag any pictures before I gave it off.

So Anyway, I decided for my next project I would try something a little different, and decided to go with a vase. So, here are the plans I came up with...

Second Segmented Piece (Vase) - Build thread-381533_10150438758315889_622020888_8678992_2141901893_n.jpg

Here is the plan for the top section of the project. I plan on turning this piece in two separate sections and then at the end bringing it together off the lathe and putting it back on with a steady rest to make the ring where the two halves join undistinguishable.

Second Segmented Piece (Vase) - Build thread-382750_10150438758485889_622020888_8678993_342705737_n.jpg

Here is the bottom half. I plan on adding a waste block at the bottom and turn this section using that.

Name:  382704_10150438758130889_622020888_8678991_1318108732_n.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  69.8 KB

The two sections "combined" for a view of the total profile.

Name:  378063_10150443782495889_622020888_8696970_1809593195_n.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  58.2 KB

Here is the wood choices I had come up with for the project. The very base section is going to be blood wood. The bulk of the vase will be afromasia. I really like the grain of this wood and think it will complement the "feature ring" well. The ring will be from purple heart and padauk, and the very top zig-zag looking thing is going to be some sort of finishing design of black palm and blood wood. It sounds like a weird combo but they look really nice together.

Let me know what you guys think! I should be able to cut the segment this weekend and get a start on this project!

- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I'll be tuned into this one. I want to try a segmented turning soon myself!!

I know you said your a relatively new turner. I'm a complete rookie myself. I have played around with black palm though. If you havnt turned that before I would definately reccomend playing with a piece before turning it on your final project. That stuff is a bear to turn.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
Signed up and looking forward to the progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
I want to see too.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #5 of 47 Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Bass blaster - I've actually tried some of the black palm before and I was able to get some decent results, but hopefully since there is so little of it in this piece it won't cause me too much grief.

Hey dmh, if my vase turns out half as good as yours did I will be ecstatic!
Hopefully some progress will be made tomorrow in the afternoon once I am able to get to the woodshop after all my classes!
The Following User Says Thank You to cabomhn For This Useful Post:
dmh (01-27-2012)
post #6 of 47 Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Here's an update

Hey guys, so I've had the time to make it to the woodshop over the past day and I have made pretty good progress on cutting the segments.

Here is the basic setup that is being used for my cuts. It is based off of the design used by Malcolm Tibbetts, if any of you haven't seen his work definitely check out tahoeturner.com.

DSC02354 by cabomhn, on Flickr

For what I have used so far, the cuts from this little jig have been pretty dang accurate for segmented cuts. Here's a couple rings of the total of 14 that I cut out...

DSC02355 by cabomhn, on Flickr

DSC02360 by cabomhn, on Flickr

The first ring is actually from padauk wood, but the picture gives it a really false color. The second is going to be the very top which is a mix of black palm and bloodwood. It's not the original design I was going for, but I think it will look nice in the end.

DSC02356 by cabomhn, on Flickr

After running several lengths of padauk through the jig the dust made a MESS. Being in a shop where you have to clean up thoroughly after yourself it becomes really hard when all of your dust is semi-flourescent red!

DSC02352 by cabomhn, on Flickr

Here is all of the afromasia segments that had been cut yesterday. The total count for yesterday's segments was 162, and today came up to another 90, plus a solid circle to make the base. Quite a few pieces!

DSC02353 by cabomhn, on Flickr

Think I have enough wood stuffed into my room? Normally it's all in the closet, but had to get it out today to vacuum (:thumb down:) but decided to take a shot of it all since I had to take it out anyway.

So, there's what's been done so far. Glue up should start in just a few days but right now it's time to start studying for my Statics/Calculus exam!

- Matt
post #7 of 47 Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 AM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Looking good Im paying attention here

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #8 of 47 Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
bikeshooter

View bikeshooter's Photo Album My Photos
Subscribed - interesting to follow the progress

"The LORD inhabits the praises of HIS people."

r.i.p. Marco Simoncelli - 10-23-2011
post #9 of 47 Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM

View Hwood's Photo Album My Photos
I will be watching as well.
post #10 of 47 Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Alright, today I have finally finished my onslaught of homework/tests for the week and I will have a few spare hours today to start work on glue up. Hopefully some update pics tonight!

- Matt
bikeshooter (02-02-2012)
post #11 of 47 Old 02-03-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Here is a general layout of my glue-up process

So, I spent a good bit of time today destressing by hanging out in my ENO with some friends instead of doing a lot of glue-up. If any of you guys are big outdoorsy people like me, seriously look at getting an ENO hammock! It will change the way you camp. Anyway...haha

So I did have some time to get some glue up today, not much, but it's a start. Unlike how most do their's with one band clamp and glue all the components of the ring together, I prefer to do mine individually with clamps...

DSC02362 by cabomhn, on Flickr

This method is definitely not the fast, but I am hoping that it will be more accurate than glueing up an entire circle at once.

So, my general game plane for making some tight joints is to glue up two half rings for every ring, then taking them to the sander to make sure that you have two perfectly flush joints. This does turn it into a very, very slight oval, but only if your joints are off by more than a few degrees, which is a pretty big error on your original cuts.

Here is a quick pic of the space I have available for glueing, not too much room compared to most you guys!

DSC02363 by cabomhn, on Flickr

So since that pic I've glue up the other half of the ring, but that's only one total ring out of 15! I've got a lot more glueing to do. In case anyone is wondering, I am using Titebond III glue for this project.

And on another note, I got my FBE pepper mill turning blanks today from Kevin over at wood barter! They are definitely some top notch stuff and he's a really great guy to do business with!

DSC02364 by cabomhn, on Flickr

That's all for now, I'll keep adding stuff as time goes by. Thanks!

- Matt
post #12 of 47 Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Update 2-4-12

So today I was able to get a good amount of work done on the vase. I found a new method of glueing that seemed to be just as good and many times faster.

DSC02369 by cabomhn, on Flickr

I found on a segmented turning forum the friction rubbing method for glueing segments and I found that the glue joints were just as tight as when I individually clamped them all. So, after all of the half rings were glued, I made a quick trip to the woodshop to put them up on the disc sander and make sure that they were all flush. Got back, and got to work on finishing the rings...

DSC02372 by cabomhn, on Flickr

DSC02371 by cabomhn, on Flickr

So, now, all of the basic glue up has been complete. I wanted to see kind of what I was dealing with in terms of total size so I put them all together to see what to expect...

DSC02373 by cabomhn, on Flickr

Pretty good. One thing is that it is currently much more oblong than my original diagram. I used 4/4 wood here and my original plans called for 3/4". Currently, the rings are right around 14/16", but I hope tomorrow to bring them right down to 3/4" using the drum sander to get the thickness perfectly even throughout, and the tops/bottom flush for glueing.

Right now I'm hoping to have the time tomorrow to make it back to the woodshop for sanding, then glue up during the week, and then start turning the two halves next weekend.
bikeshooter (02-04-2012)
post #13 of 47 Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Update 2-8-12

Hello again. I've been able to get a good portion of the glue up down in the past couple of days on and off. For the clamping, I am using 4-50lb hand clamps to clamp each ring individually. So far, all of the joints have been very tight throughout. Here's a few pics..

DSC02376 by cabomhn, on Flickr

DSC02377 by cabomhn, on Flickr

I realized that the two solid rings of Padauk I had made for the bottom were a little bit undersized, so I have to make another quick trip to the woodshop to cut those, but here is the completion of the bottom half segmented rings being completed...

DSC02380 by cabomhn, on Flickr

And here is the top half of the vase completed and glued up. I will be attaching this to the lathe by making a solid circle the same diameter as the top ring and glueing it to the top half bloodwood/half black palm ring. Then, I will glue a waste block in the center that fits into the jaws of the chuck so it can be easily mounted to the lathe.

DSC02381 by cabomhn, on Flickr

As you can tell, the rings are now a significant amount thinner than the original stacked picture that I posted, which now matches my diagrammed plan within 1/32 of an inch. Hoping to get the first half of this on the lathe this Friday or Saturday!

- Matt
post #14 of 47 Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
im anxious to follow this
post #15 of 47 Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I've been curious to see this process. Thanks for documenting it. Great pics. Can't wait for the next installment.
post #16 of 47 Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
I've been curious to see this process. Thanks for documenting it. Great pics. Can't wait for the next installment.
If I see there is enough interest after this go around, I will do a complete tutorial my next go around so people who have never done it before can give it a go.
bikeshooter (02-09-2012)
post #17 of 47 Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how I missed this. Very good like watching a good movie keep it up. Almost to the good part. Hope this has a good ending I think it will

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #18 of 47 Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 AM

View Lancer33's Photo Album My Photos
I would have all those little pieces parts so ,mixed up that I would never get them together. Very impressive...waiting for the next installment.
post #19 of 47 Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 AM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
just trying to help \save time\money and aggravation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabomhn View Post
Hey guys. This piece that I'm starting is my second segmented projected, and probably my 7th turning project overall. I tried a segmented piece about a month ago and I LOVED it. I don't have any pictures since I was on a crunch for time for christmas gifts and I didn't snag any pictures before I gave it off.

So Anyway, I decided for my next project I would try something a little different, and decided to go with a vase. So, here are the plans I came up with...

Attachment 36668

Here is the plan for the top section of the project. I plan on turning this piece in two separate sections and then at the end bringing it together off the lathe and putting it back on with a steady rest to make the ring where the two halves join undistinguishable.

Attachment 36669

Here is the bottom half. I plan on adding a waste block at the bottom and turn this section using that.

Attachment 36670

The two sections "combined" for a view of the total profile.

Attachment 36671

Here is the wood choices I had come up with for the project. The very base section is going to be blood wood. The bulk of the vase will be afromasia. I really like the grain of this wood and think it will complement the "feature ring" well. The ring will be from purple heart and padauk, and the very top zig-zag looking thing is going to be some sort of finishing design of black palm and blood wood. It sounds like a weird combo but they look really nice together.

Let me know what you guys think! I should be able to cut the segment this weekend and get a start on this project!

- Matt
Matt if I may, I would like to pass on some, I hope, helpful information for you and fellow segmented turners, new and old.

1. Goggle www.marleyturner.com, he has a web site dedicated for segmented turners, all free and he will answer your e-mails.

2. using a compound saw to cut your segments, wow,just wondering why you don't use your table saw and a sled and or a miter gauge?
(Google miter sled I think it has 3 or 4 samples.)

3. Google www.woodturnerscatalogue.com key words (seg easy plate) best 90 bucks I ever spent on learning/doing open and closed segmented turning. I was able to duplicate the fixture showed in his handout on cutting the segments and using the table saw and a miter gauge, the accuracy in the degrees of cuts is un believeable.
----------------------but you need -------------------

4. Google www.Rockler's.com \key word (incra miter v120) this unit is a must,for accurate segmented cutting, using your table saw.

5. I was wondering why you are not using worm clamps and parch paper on your glue up. For me it's faster and more accurate,you can see right away if your angles on all the pieces are correct with a dry run, then mark each piece 1 through whatever, then on a tile plate, (tite bond 1), sets up faster, you do your glue up, so easy. and the bottom is flat to the tile plate, works every time.

6. I hope there a steady rest being used in this project, if not, that scary. Trying to clean the inside of the 12 in.deep vase. Real long reach for that scraper and or sand paper,scary. Even in 1/2 parts.

Matt your photo display, I envy you (all) I wish I knew how to down load , someone was going to show me how, maybe this year I.ll learn

but, in the mean I be watching with great interest.
Ron Marietta Ga
post #20 of 47 Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjboucher View Post
Matt if I may, I would like to pass on some, I hope, helpful information for you and fellow segmented turners, new and old.

1. Goggle www.marleyturner.com, he has a web site dedicated for segmented turners, all free and he will answer your e-mails.

2. using a compound saw to cut your segments, wow,just wondering why you don't use your table saw and a sled and or a miter gauge?
(Google miter sled I think it has 3 or 4 samples.)

3. Google www.woodturnerscatalogue.com key words (seg easy plate) best 90 bucks I ever spent on learning/doing open and closed segmented turning. I was able to duplicate the fixture showed in his handout on cutting the segments and using the table saw and a miter gauge, the accuracy in the degrees of cuts is un believeable.
----------------------but you need -------------------

4. Google www.Rockler's.com \key word (incra miter v120) this unit is a must,for accurate segmented cutting, using your table saw.

5. I was wondering why you are not using worm clamps and parch paper on your glue up. For me it's faster and more accurate,you can see right away if your angles on all the pieces are correct with a dry run, then mark each piece 1 through whatever, then on a tile plate, (tite bond 1), sets up faster, you do your glue up, so easy. and the bottom is flat to the tile plate, works every time.

6. I hope there a steady rest being used in this project, if not, that scary. Trying to clean the inside of the 12 in.deep vase. Real long reach for that scraper and or sand paper,scary. Even in 1/2 parts.

Matt your photo display, I envy you (all) I wish I knew how to down load , someone was going to show me how, maybe this year I.ll learn

but, in the mean I be watching with great interest.
Ron Marietta Ga
Hey thanks for your comments. To answer most of your questions, I am doing this with a limited budget so I don't have money to go out and buy a lot of the tools and things I would like to have for this project. Also, another thing is that I don't actually have any tools here, and am limited to some extent to what the wood shop has to use. So, all of my projects are based on the idea that to get there, I have to walk a mile carrying all of my wood/jigs with me.

I am not using worm clamps and am personally preferring to glue up half rings and then put them to a sander because I am not at the skill level at this point that my segments are so spot on accurate that they would have no gap whatsoever. However, I do agree that in general using those type of clamps will create tighter glue joints and are just generally easier to use.

Also, while I know that a lot of turners do prefer a miter gauge/sled, there are many accomplished turners that do prefer using a miter saw...

http://www.tahoeturner.com/

That is Malcolm Tibbet's site. He does almost all of his work with a miter saw, and shows that you can be accurate, well perfect with a miter saw. For me, I like the idea of using a table saw, I just don't have the money to spend making a jig for it and buying the necessary toggle clamps...etc.

And, a quick little tutorial for posting pictures. I personally prefer uploading to Flickr, and then posting here secondly. I was having trouble with getting the upload system to work on the site, so I had to resort to linking to somewhere else. If you upload to flickr and then go to the picture's page there is a link that says "share" and then you can copy what is call BCC code that you can paste directly into your post here on the forum and the picture will pop up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode