Sears Craftsman Lathe Problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

View alexsmithlonglake's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Sears Craftsman Lathe Problem

Hey folks!
Got a question: I’ve got an old Sears Craftsman Model 113.228162 lathe, and the other day I was turning a spindle on it. I turned off the lathe and noticed that the piece stopped rather suddenly rather than carrying on spinning while slowing down like normal. When I turned it on again the motor hummed but the headstock pulley never started spinning. When I tried to turn it by hand it wouldnt budge.
I oiled it and left for the night, and when I came back in the morning it started as it normally would. After working for an hour, it stopped on its own. Once again, the motor hummed but the pulley was hard to turn. I can now hand start it if the belts are off and there’s no load at all (it runs at normal RPM in this case) but if I put the belt on and load the motor at all it cant be started.
Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
First, welcome to the forum!

I would have the motor checked out as it is likely a bearing issue. Last time I had one rebuilt it cost about $80 and that was far cheaper than a new motor!

Mac

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsmithlonglake View Post
Hey folks!
Got a question: I’ve got an old Sears Craftsman Model 113.228162 lathe, and the other day I was turning a spindle on it. I turned off the lathe and noticed that the piece stopped rather suddenly rather than carrying on spinning while slowing down like normal. When I turned it on again the motor hummed but the headstock pulley never started spinning. When I tried to turn it by hand it wouldnt budge.
I oiled it and left for the night, and when I came back in the morning it started as it normally would. After working for an hour, it stopped on its own. Once again, the motor hummed but the pulley was hard to turn. I can now hand start it if the belts are off and there’s no load at all (it runs at normal RPM in this case) but if I put the belt on and load the motor at all it cant be started.
Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!
Sounds like the starting capacitor is bad or the starting windings are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willing View Post
Sounds like the starting capacitor is bad or the starting windings are bad.
Not if the shaft won't turn. That's probably bearings.

Dave in CT, USA
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 12:41 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
a little confusing because at one point he says he could not turn the head stock pulley. Yes sounds like the motor/bearings, if the motor can't be turned. Perhaps the belt was over tightened too long. Hard to say. If on the other hand, the head stock pulley is stopping up, probably the head stock bearings. If the headstock bearings, I do not know whether it is worth installing new bearings.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 03:59 PM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
As bearings go bad they tend to heat up and things get tight until they bind due to expansion. Let them cool a bit and things start to turn again...for a bit.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Ive had problems like this with older motors, one was a hundred years old! The grease in the bearings eventually breaks down into an asphalt like mess that freezes in place as it cools down essentially gluing the shaft in place. The cure was disassembly, wash out the bearings with a good solvent, relube and reassemble. This is especially bad with journal bearings. In your case this may be happening with the headstock bearings as you say the motor will start without the belt. A quick and nasty check will be to flush out the bearings with solvent until it all feels loose and relube it. If it still freezes up when cooled it will need disassembly and clean or replace the bearings.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I would use this as an excuse to buy a new lathe. Good luck on getting a solution to the problem.
Bob Willing likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Much appreicated! I’m trying to get the pulley off to get the motor apart and it wont budge, removed the little hex set screw but its still stuck on any idea if theres anything else to remove?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Update: got it apart and lubricated the bearings, shaft is spinning freely now. However, there’s now some fore and aft play in the shaft for some reason, enough that when run with the belt on the pulley and shaft are pulled ahead enough that the fan interferes with the housing at the front of the motor. It seems as though there should be some kind of spacer to keep this from happening, but one never came out. Any ideas?

Tags
lathe, pulley, sears crafstman, spindle, wood turning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode