Sealing vs kiln - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

View wvcraftsman's Photo Album My Photos
Sealing vs kiln

I just got my delta midi lathe a few weeks ago. I've been reading several threads on here about end grain sealing. I haven't heard many people talking about drying blanks in a kiln. Does anyone use a kiln to dry their blanks before turning? Would you end seal a blank and then put it in a kiln?

I'ved learned a lot by being on here. You all are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
I have read of people who kiln dry after rough turning. A lot of people rough out green wood because it's much easier to turn than dried. That's all I know. There are some much more experienced turners who will be through here to give more info.

Tim
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I'm trying to learn how to dry blanks in a kiln. I've done two loads so far, and they have had the end grain sealed before putting them in the kiln. My kiln is so small, it's only been taking a couple of weeks or less to get the wood down to < 20% moisture (according to my el-cheapo moisture meter.) That may be too fast for the type of woods that I've been drying - maple and walnut - because I've had some cracking. If I can learn this process, I'll have turning blanks in shorter time than sealing and storing, but I'm still learning.

I guess a simpler answer would be, seal your endgrain no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Is Anchorseal the only end grain sealer? I really don't want to use latex paint if I don't have too.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-17-2010, 01:52 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing wrong with latex paint except it doesn't work nearly as well as Anchorseal. Wax works best. Trying to dry whole bowl blanks often leads to failure. I've had pretty good success putting them into a sort of hibernation by sealing them completely with wax. That gets me 6 months to a year and then I can either turn them or rough turn them.
Rough turning them and then drying them has been the best way to save bowls. I still seal the end grain areas with Anchorseal.
Some people use kilns at this stage. It does dry wood faster but you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. I just rough turn a bowl and put it up. Then I grab a dry one a finish turn that one. It takes about 6 month around here to dry a rough turned bowl naturally. After about 6 months of roughing bowls I always have some dry waiting to be turned.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John. If I get started now, that would give me some pieces to turn when winter get here again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode