Sealing green wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Sealing green wood

How effective is latex paint vs anchorseal on sealing freshly cut wood? I've never tried latex paint but I've read on other forums that others have used this method. I haven't used anchorseal but have used the Rockler brand of sealer and have been quite pleased with the results. Just wondering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
I only use anchoreseal. I buy it by the 5 gal pail. Try it on a piece u dont care about and see what happens. I have heard that before but the wood I harvest I won't take those chances
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I've used latex paint with good results. But anchor seal would be best choice.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
No Longer Here

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
I'm for anchorseal....it has a waxy not hard protective coating AND is easier on the saw teeth not having an harder edge as the latex paint......anything to help the bandsaw teeth. I won't say the latex wouldn't work but I use anchoseal on logs prior to sawing and sometimes that's a year. I've heard some sawyers say the latex soaks in farther and dries harder...one had a customer use latex (water base) paint and couldn't keep a sharp band only to find out it was latex BLOCK sealer. they removed 3" from each end and everthing went back cutting fine.

Have a Blessed day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
@brown down- - - Where do you buy it in five gallons? I've seen it in gallon containers at Woodcraft.
Thanks everyone for the replies.These were my thoughts too on anchorseal or the Rockler brand.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
I buy it direct from anchoreseal. They can add pigments so u can identify the year! 75 for the 5 gal
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The secret to saving wood is controlling the drying. Wood loses moisture through the ends much faster than through the sides. that's why we all coat the ends.
In my tests over many years here in Tennessee, dipped in parrafin works best followed by end grain sealer. Latex paint didn't work worth a darn for me but back in those days my wood stayed outside in the elements. I also tried roofing tar (too messy) kaulk(too expensive) yellow glue ( too expensive and breaks down to too fast)
The best thing you can do is to protect them from the elements. put a tarp over them to keep the sun, wind and rain off. When in a hurry after I just get some logs I often cover the ends with plastic garbage bags. That keeps them good for about a month before the bags deteriorate. Then I have to do something. Usually by then I have time to coat the ends with Anchorseal and then stack them and cover them with a tarp.
If I want to further process them into bowl blanks or vessel blanks I cut them up seal the ends with parrafin wax by dipping them in an electric skillet with melted wax in it. If I don't think I'll get to it anytime soon I completely cover it with parrafin wax.
Anchorseal works pretty good for this but apparently lets more moisture out because I have more trouble with those blanks cracking sooner than the parrafin covered blanks.
for larger blanks I put a coffee can with wax in it in the electric skillet with the other wax. When this melts I can simply pick it out and use a paint brush to brush on the wax.
I know these are extreme methods and many professionals laugh at what I do, but I work full time and simply can't turn as much as I'd like. wood comes in spurts so I had to figure out a way to save it for much longer periods. Hence the extremes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
brown down (03-15-2012), duncsuss (03-15-2012)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
No Longer Here

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
John,
From my readings over the years....wax is probably the best sealer especially on the ends, preventing the moisture from "escaping" TOO fast which causes most cracks and doesn't dry out.

As usual, our society wants quicker/ faster/ easier application which creates the products like "Anchoseal", "Bailey's" and others that can be brushed, sprayed etc., etc. at a quicker rate than "firing up the burners". I THINK these have a "wax" type ingredient in them. The Anchorseal after a year of exposure to the elements on logs still has a "soft" seal not hard like paints would.

John, I'm just down the 40 @ 258. I'll shoot you a PM.

Have a Blessed day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode