scarper question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

View jballs918's Photo Album My Photos
scarper question

well i have starting working with acrylics. from what i have figured out i can turn the easiest with a rounded scarper. with this in mind i was wondering what would be better a easy wood tool rounded scarper or just a regular scarper. please keep in mind that this will be only used for this purpose. im just wondering if there would be any advanages for using the easy wood. the scarper that i was looking is about 1/2 inch or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Can't help you. I use a spindle gouge to turn Acrylic and resins.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
I turn a ton of acrylic (duck calls).

The answer to your question is NEITHER.

The Easy Wood tools will work on acrylic, but you'll find that they're too agressive and even with the best tool presentation it will be nearly impossible to avoid the tool digging in occasionally, which will result in little chipped out areas. I have them and love them, but I save them for wood.

A conventional scraper will do about the same thing, just not as efficiently, and with the same results.

What does work is to turn your conventional round nose scraper into a negative rake scraper. Grind a small 15 degree bevel on the top of the scraper, then grind the bevel of the scraper as you normally would. That'll make it much less aggressive and you can really lean on it without damaging the acrylic. You do have to sharpen it a lot, as the burr is much less prominent.

What works even better is spindle gouges. I rarely (if ever) use my scrapers on acrylic anymore. I turn the majority of my acrylic calls' areas with a roughing gouge believe it or not. Detailed areas are turned with a detail gouge and flat areas are turned with a parting tool.

My suggestion is to use properly sharpened (and properly presented/utilized) spindle gouges for acrylic work.

Here's one of my acrylic duck calls...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

View jballs918's Photo Album My Photos
i have now been doing alot of turning and i have also figured out hte roughing gouge of all things also work very well. thank you for the post and info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode