Sanding light colored woods - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding light colored woods

After completing all of the cocobollo blanks that came with my starter pen kits I am taking on some spalted tarmind blanks for my next pens. All is going well except for the sanding. All I can find locally in grits higher than 320 is the dark colored wet/dry sandpaper and it impregnates the wood with black fibers. Is there a solution to this? Or am I going to have to special order the higher grit papers in the lighter color? One guy recommended I try steel wool so I bought some of that designed for buffing and polishing, but I'm not sure if I want to try it or not. What to do?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Matt,
get one of the woodturners sandpaper assortment kits. They are available at Woodcraft, Rockler, Klingspor, etc. There are either 4 or 5 rolls in a neat little dispensor box. You get 150, 220, 320, 400, and with the 5 roll kit 600. The rolls are 1" wide and burgandy in color. They don't leave any color residue on the wood. If you watch for them to go on sale, the 4 roll will be $9.99. Here's a link for the 5 roll kit, on sale:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...and-paper.aspx
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
After completing all of the cocobollo blanks that came with my starter pen kits I am taking on some spalted tarmind blanks for my next pens. All is going well except for the sanding. All I can find locally in grits higher than 320 is the dark colored wet/dry sandpaper and it impregnates the wood with black fibers. Is there a solution to this? Or am I going to have to special order the higher grit papers in the lighter color? One guy recommended I try steel wool so I bought some of that designed for buffing and polishing, but I'm not sure if I want to try it or not. What to do?

Matt

Matt from what I gathered you are talking about doing pens. I rarely use sandpaper when I do wood pens. I use my skew and go right to finish. You will never match a finer cut than with a sharp skew. But if you want to sandpaper you never have to go above 600 grit. If you do then you need to revisit your tooling technique. You go right to a finish after 600 grit. Sometimes I only use 400 grit. The finish is what will make the blank smooth. You can get those grits in Home Depot or Lowes or any home center. If you want to really make smooth before finish, take a brown paper bag and rub the blank it will give a nice smooth feel.

John T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Matt,
get one of the woodturners sandpaper assortment kits. They are available at Woodcraft, Rockler, Klingspor, etc. There are either 4 or 5 rolls in a neat little dispensor box. You get 150, 220, 320, 400, and with the 5 roll kit 600. The rolls are 1" wide and burgandy in color. They don't leave any color residue on the wood. If you watch for them to go on sale, the 4 roll will be $9.99. Here's a link for the 5 roll kit, on sale:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...and-paper.aspx
Mike Hawkins
That's what I use. I have the 5 roll box. Normally don't use anything lower than 320 though. And JT's right. A good sharp skew is worth it's weight in gold. I have a cheap HF one, so I sharpen it often, but it works like a charm. I should probably invest in a better set now that I know what I like to use.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Go here, you can get just about anything you want. www.thesandingglove.com
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM

View mark81253's Photo Album My Photos
Here's another good source:

http://www.supergrit.com/

Mark

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll just make it easy on myself and order the five roll kit from PSI - along with some other supplies of course. I looked at every hardware and lumber store near my house and couldn't find anything above 320 grit in anything besides the wet/dry paper.

Thanks again!

Matt
post #8 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll just make it easy on myself and order the five roll kit from PSI - along with some other supplies of course. I looked at every hardware and lumber store near my house and couldn't find anything above 320 grit in anything besides the wet/dry paper.

Thanks again!

Matt
You could try paint stores or even auto stores where they sell the fiberglass fillers.

John T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode