Same kits, different vendors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Same kits, different vendors

I have purchased all of my pen kits from PSI so far. However, with me being on the west coast shipping is usually 7+ days so I am looking for an option that is closer. In looking at my options it seems that most of the companies carry many of the same pens with only slight changes to the aesthetics. Will the bushings and tubes typically work across the lines of pens, or is it a good idea to order the bushings for each separate pen? For example, the Majestic Junior looks like it is basically the same pen as the Statesmen 2. If I want to try a Statesmen 2 can I use my MJ bushings. If this is a possibility, is there a previous thread that discusses which kits are the same between the different vendors. I don't really mind paying for all of the separate bushing sets if I have to. I just want to try to keep things simple and not end up with 50 different bushing sets that I have to keep track of.

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I believe the IAP has a comparison chart, others may know better than me. Being on the west coast, try Craft Supply USA, they're in Utah and if you order before 3pm mountain time, your package ships same day. Usually gets to me in Seattle area in 2-3 days.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:56 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Matt.
Yes some of the pen kits by different names are the same basic kit & share the same tubes & bushings. Wall Street II at Woodcraft & the Sierra are one such kit. There are a couple of lists but here is a link to one list that shows the differences.

http://content.penturners.org/librar...gsandtubes.pdf

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Matt.
The Wall street II Elegant Beauty has a different look but uses same tubes & bushings.

http://content.penturners.org/librar...gsandtubes.pdf

Other vendors that are good to deal with are:
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
http://www.exoticblanks.com/
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/index.html

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 05-03-2012 at 04:15 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I'll add www.beartoothwoods.com to the list of great sources and on the west coast.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

View clapiana's Photo Album My Photos
All of those mentioned above are great
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

View snmhanson's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies and links. Looks like some of my kits should cross over directly and some are slightly different. The sheet from woodturners.org will be very helpful in that regard.

Thanks again!

Matt
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM

View prestonbill's Photo Album My Photos
Matt here is another one. They sell PSI products but ship fast and are very easy to work with. I also have used them for engraving and it was fast. http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx
post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post
I have purchased all of my pen kits from PSI so far. However, with me being on the west coast shipping is usually 7+ days so I am looking for an option that is closer. In looking at my options it seems that most of the companies carry many of the same pens with only slight changes to the aesthetics. Will the bushings and tubes typically work across the lines of pens, or is it a good idea to order the bushings for each separate pen? For example, the Majestic Junior looks like it is basically the same pen as the Statesmen 2. If I want to try a Statesmen 2 can I use my MJ bushings. If this is a possibility, is there a previous thread that discusses which kits are the same between the different vendors. I don't really mind paying for all of the separate bushing sets if I have to. I just want to try to keep things simple and not end up with 50 different bushing sets that I have to keep track of.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt keeping bushings for kits has to be one of your least problems when it comes to turning pens. I would and will not order a dirfferent kit without ordering bushings and alot of times I will order 2 sets in case one has a flaw. You pick the kits you like the most and those are the ones you usually stay with so you want multiple sets of bushings. As far as crossover kits throw my hands up. For the small amount of money tubes are and bushings are just match whatever kit you buy with the material needed. I never did like trying to match things using those charts. Good luck with that.

John T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode