Is This Safe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Is This Safe

So the wife came through for me. She came home over the weekend from a Christmas shopping trip and said theres a box to big for me to carry so you have to get it. It was the lathe I asked for!! Nothing special, just the Harbor Freight 5 speed mini but its a start and I'm way excited to finally be able to turn things!!

So, I've spent the last couple days watching YouTube videos trying to educate myself before I get to use this baby and made an observation. Many guys will screw a waste block on to thier faceplate or put a wasteblock into the chuck and then hot glue thier work piece to it. Is this safe!?! I have a hot glue gun because it comes in handy for various things but for some reason it just seems to me like the work piece should come flying off of there. One video, a kid glued up a very unbalanced piece of a log and turned a bowl out of it. I thought for sure that thing was gonna take his head off before the video ended. Is this common practice?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
I would not recommend using hot glue, it would not have the bonding strength of a normal woodworking glue like Titebond or Elmers. My guess would be that the people using hot glue don't like the wait time it takes for a decent glue like Titebond to dry.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Before got a chuck use both carpenters glue paper joints and hot melt glue a lot with faceplate turning. Still use hot melt glue on occasion. I am not safe because propane torch mo-better than glue gun.

Nothing we do in woodturning 100% safe just use your own judgment. Yes, there is a small learning curve to using hot melt glue. Cold glue will not hold, so work quickly, and hold your work till glue sets up. Normally have tailstock ready to do holding for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on your new lathe and Invest in a good face shield! LOL.. i have used CA, hot glue, even turners 2 sided sticky tape, but like Wildwood said use the support of your tail stock all the time. if you new to turning ck out the link below.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/safety.htm

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
I personally would suggest you invest in a chuck. When turning bowls I like to fasten the blank to the face plate with screws, making sure they are inside the expected bowl diameter. Then I turn the O.D of the bowl, along with a tendon to use chuck on for the next operation. Then simply remove the blank from the face plate and attach the chuck. Chuck up the blank and start hollowing out the inside of the bowl. This should remove the screw holes as well. Good luck and stay safe to turn another day.

Randy

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I say this to all the new turners on here...take a class! There is only so much you can get from a youtube video and there is so much more you can learn when you have someone who knows what they are doing correct you before that chunk of wood smacks you for doing something stupid.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
I say this to all the new turners on here...take a class! There is only so much you can get from a youtube video and there is so much more you can learn when you have someone who knows what they are doing correct you before that chunk of wood smacks you for doing something stupid.
+1 best advice.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #8 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I've been curious about hot glue as well but I share your concern. I use 5 min epoxy or med C/A glue on glue blocks. If you do everything right it works well but I have demonstrated that it is not idiot proof.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I do plan to take some classes but the next classes arnt untill Feb. Theres no way I can let a new tool set unused for that long!! I dont plan to be hot glueing blocks of wood to the lathe and wasnt asking for that purpose. It was just something I noticed during several videos that to me, didnt look safe so was just curious if that was the norm. I have watched many learning videos as well and intend to start with blocks of soft pine just to get a feel for the tools before I actually try to turn something. I was also thinking of buying a couple pen kits and giving those a shot down the road. No bowls in my near future!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Hot glue is good for smaller items. For larger items be sure and use a lot of glue not just a little ring. It will actually hold better than CA Glue because it is not brittle. However it is not the best glue for green wood. It also won't hold well to wood with wax or finish on it.
I prefer to screw the wood directly to the faceplate but then this assumes you have enough wood to waste the area where the screws will go. This is good for green wood because you can always cut extra wood for the screw area.
If you buy dry bowl blanks then gluing a wasteblock to it is good. I like to use yellow woodworkers glue if both surfaces are flat and dry. You will have to wait overnight.
Epoxy will fill voids and even glue to rough surfaces. 5 minute epoxy isn't actually 5 minutes but if you wait about 20 it is good.
A paper joint was mentioned. That does work well but needs a fair amount of surface area. Put yellow glue on both surfaces and then put a strip of newspaper inbetween. Let it dry at least overnight. You can break this joint by putting a knife or chisel in the joint and tapping on it. This is really only handy if you want a flat bottom bowl and want to sand the paper/glue off after. However that's a hassle because it clogs sandpaper.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Glue another tool in our woodturning toolbox not sure which type of glue safest for all applications. You should take it upon yourself to learn what glue works best for task trying to accomplish.

Already explained bit of learning curve to using hot melt glue. Only wrong way to use that stuff is buy economy craft over woodworking type. Biggest advantage cheaper than double sided tape and has gap filling ability. Some brands need more clean up over other brands.

I would not normally use hot melt glue when turning a bowl unless want temporary bond.

Faceplate/waste blocks using paper glue joints give you several options a chuck cannot. Only real big safety secrets to success, flat mating surfaces, paper selection, and waiting for glue to cure. Flat mating surfaces glue curing self-explanatory, if paper to thin will permanently glue bowl to waste block. If paper too porous glue seeps through thus one glue joint not two. Risk damage to bottom of bowl when trying to separate. Have used notebook, typing, and grocery bag paper for glue joints. Rather spend time scrapping/sanding off excess glue and paper than figure out how to add more wood to bottom of bowl. Reverse turning on jam chuck makes task of removing paper/glue a snap.

Also use paper joints for inside out turning, but want to try hot melt next time. Not sure am good enough to use tape or rubber bands.

Have not found need for waste block in chuck yet, but see no problem with that procedure.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
I do plan to take some classes but the next classes arnt untill Feb.
... then find the nearest woodturning club and ask if one of the members will mentor you to get started.

Congrats on the new toys! Oh, and kiss your wife every morning and night, she might not see you the rest of the day

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode