rough turning peppermill blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
rough turning peppermill blanks

I'm getting some new pepper mill stock but don't want to wait years to use it. I wanted to rough out some blanks, but I'm afraid that if the blank was to warp or twist that that the top would be off center to the bottom.

Anyone have any luck with roughing out blanks?

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
How wet is the wood? If you cut it to rough length and just turn it round, there shouldn't be too much movement. Especially if you re-seal the ends.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a meter, but I probably should get one. (i have a $70 gift card to Rockler, any suggestions?)

I have some maple burl that was cut and sealed about a year ago and i'm going to be getting some pretty fresh flame box elder. I also have some birdseye juniper that I have for almost 2 years, but that is about 4-5" thick. I might try to resaw a bit to reduce some of the thickness, i don't need a 4"x4" pepper mill that is 12" high

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I bought this one when only $10 and works okay.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005-MMD4E_0__?productId=3136919&Ntt=moisture+meter&pl= 1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dmoisture%2Bmeter& facetInfo=

If wood has been sitting around for couple years go ahead and cut to rough size and let it hang out for week or two. Same with fresh cut would rough cut to size and wait couple three months.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
DV,
If your blank isn't really dry, they will warp after turning. I have had several do this when I thought the blank was dry. Moisture meter is on my list. The top will bind up in two spots as you turn it. I just take it apart, rechuck the bottom half between centers and take a very light cut on the spigot. Leave about 1/16" of side play if you grab the top and try to wiggle it side to side. Refinish the spigot with some lacquer and put it back together.
I do have one blank that I started to turn about 6 weeks ago. Box elder. It was completely waxed when I got it 4 years ago. I turned it into a cylinder with a tenon on one end. I noticed the chips were coming off more in ribbons than pieces. Slightly damp. The ends were still waxed, so I put it in a paper grocery bag along with some shavings and set is aside. I'll see what happens to it. My biggest concern is cracking with this size blank.
Better off to make sure they are dry. Cutting up kiln dried wood and reassembling in different colored layers is a nice way to make up some cool blanks.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Ever soak them in Denatured Alcohol?

I have read up on it a bit and would give it a try. Although I want to make some of the 18" and 24" ones so finding a container to soak them in could be a problem. I could get a 30 gallon drum, but that seems like over kill.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
Ever soak them in Denatured Alcohol?

I have read up on it a bit and would give it a try. Although I want to make some of the 18" and 24" ones so finding a container to soak them in could be a problem. I could get a 30 gallon drum, but that seems like over kill.
That got me to thinking about a similar item I was wanting to soak in alcohol.

My first thought was 3" PVC Schedule 40 pipe with an end cap glued on. It is omly moderatly effected by alcohol, but unfortunately, the glue won't hold up. Some of that roofing rubber (EPDM I think) band clamped for a bottom would work. Better still, if you have a seamless section of pipe large enough for the blank to fit inside of.
Or make a trough out of a section of gutter with two end caps caulked with SILICONE caulking should work also. Just some thoughts - no guarantees.

How long would you predict you would have to soak a blank?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a couple few days... or a week if I forget about it. I'm going to have to play around with it. When I do i'll probably try to have a moister meter and track the weight of the blanks. So maybe next year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode