Rotten turnings from the wood pile. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Rotten turnings from the wood pile.

A neighbor of mine put a lot of rotten firewood on the street for the city to pick up. Some of these are held together with CA glue. I really like the way this wood looks.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 02:29 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like spalted maple (or another spalted species). It looks great.

Dang you! I pay extra for that at my wood supplier.

Look into Cactus Juice for stabilizing punky wood.
hawkeye10 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 03:15 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post

Look into Cactus Juice for stabilizing punky wood.
I see videos of folks using a vacuum chamber when using Cactus Juice. Are you using a vacuum chamber? If not, what is your application method and what kind of penetration do you get?

I assume the Cactus Juice needs to be applied to a bowl which has already dried to the desired moisture content? Most spalted logs I scrounge for bowl blanks, are retaining quite a bit of excess moisture at the time I discover them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Yes, I use a vacuum chamber I made from a yard sale pressure cooker and an old air conditioning vacuum pump.

When the wood isn’t fully dry, I put it in the oven at a low temperature until it dries out.

It really comes out nice after the cactus juice cures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
hawkeye10 (07-05-2020)
post #5 of 11 Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

So far the only thing I have used is CA thin glue. I sure hope they don't start falling apart. This is the first time I have had any experience with wood that is rotten. I wonder do you have to use a vacuum chamber when using Cactus Juice?

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
So far the only thing I have used is CA thin glue. I sure hope they don't start falling apart. This is the first time I have had any experience with wood that is rotten. I wonder do you have to use a vacuum chamber when using Cactus Juice?
This all I have done also, hence my previous question. The bowl shown below had so much moisture in the wood, the moisture was flying out as I was rough turning it. Just like it was on "spin dry" cycle.

I'm not certain just how much and how deep the Cactus Juice would penitrate with out vacuum.

I did see this JB Weld product the other day. Has anyone used this with good results? https://www.jbweld.com/product/wood-...iquid-hardener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOWL-011-B.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	391979  

Name:	BOWL-011-C.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	391981  

Last edited by Dave McCann; 07-06-2020 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Dave, they have on Amazon so I ordered a bottle of it. JB Weld has some good products, I hope this will work. I should have it tomorrow.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 AM

View cynrich's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Hardener

Quote:
Dave, they have on Amazon so I ordered a bottle of it. JB Weld has some good products, I hope this will work. I should have it tomorrow.
@hawkeye10 I'm eagerly awaiting your results as I bought some of this, but it's been intermittently raining since I brought it home, and I'm waiting for a few dry days to get to it. Good Luck!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynrich View Post
@hawkeye10 I'm eagerly awaiting your results as I bought some of this, but it's been intermittently raining since I brought it home, and I'm waiting for a few dry days to get to it. Good Luck!
Hawkeye10 and Cynrich,
I did pick up a bottle when I saw it but have not used any yet. I've been busy welding up a frame to mount my lathe on. Needs paint yet. Will add a plywood floor to stack ballast and a table top behind the lathe itself. The 8X33 area directly under the lathe will be left open to enhance air flow to the invertor and motor. Four swivel casters provide mobility while two leveling jacks in the front will lock it down when desired. The tube frame itself weighs 110lbs.. I'll post more pics when its painted and lathe mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FRAME-002.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	672.3 KB
ID:	391983  

post #10 of 11 Old 07-11-2020, 10:50 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting the results as well. The people I know who use other JB Weld products swear by them. It sounds like the JB Weld Liquid Hardener should do a good job of penetrating. I'll be interested to hear if it fills gaps and cracks well.

There's no doubt that Cactus Juice penetrates really well under vacuum. Once saturated, the wood is baked to cure the Cactus Juice. Every void is filled and solid. It's not difficult, but it would be nice to have an alternative to the vacuum and the baking.

OK, we're waiting for you; don't let us down! :)
post #11 of 11 Old 07-14-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like the JB stuff does not absorb into the wood as CA glue does. Here are two pictures, one is the top side and the other is the bottom. The bottom doesn't have any JB on it. I would wear some Nitril gloves while working with this stuff.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode