Rockwell Tool Rest Missing Part??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By TomCT2
  • 1 Post By holtzdreher
  • 1 Post By _Ogre

post #1 of 14 Old 05-19-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

View Splitahair's Photo Album My Photos
Rockwell Tool Rest Missing Part???

Greetings all. As I continue to restore this Rockwell/Delta 46-450 lathe I am now wondering if there is a sleeve or bushing missing from the tool rest base? As seen in the photo, the base has an odd shaped multi-angled hole for the tool rest shaft to rest in, yet the shaft is perfectly round. Further, the shaft fits extremely sloppy in the hole in the base. So, is there a piece missing? Did a previous owner mismatch parts?

Rockwell Tool Rest Missing Part???-img_1027.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-19-2020, 02:49 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen old tool rests with wedge type shims. methinks for accommodating tool posts of differing diameters.
seen, never used, never "dealt with" - so it's a fwiw observation. I'm talking about stuff seen in museums....

is that a set screw squeeze 'em tight thingie at the boss top?

or the 'offset rest?'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	389689  

Splitahair likes this.

Last edited by TomCT2; 05-19-2020 at 02:54 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 45 yr old Rockwell lathe, same basic thing as in TomCT2's picture. One tool rest has a round hole with a single corner that has flat faces The round tool post locks up against the two flat faces much more than it would against a round edge. There may have been some other types of Delta tool rest accessories that needed the key way etc. Maybe the rest for the metal spinning accessories they sold. I know my HF lathe tool rests will work in my Rockwell lathe banjo, but the Delta rest will not fit into the HF banjo. I believe Vintage Machinery has a couple of Delta catalogs and manuals available for down load. I was fascinated by all the accessories Delta sold for their lathes over the years.
Splitahair likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-22-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Tom CT2- Bingo! You have what looks like the exact model lathe I am restoring, down to the indexing head. But my has an older style tailstock. Would you mind sending me a couple additional photos, please? One of the hole in the tool rest base (banjo) where the tool post inserts. And another of the indexing lever and engagement rod where it enters into the fins of the drive pulley? My entire indexing mechanism is missing, so I have guessed and made parts that I think are like the original. It would be great to see what the real parts look like, and I'll adjust as needed.
Oh, and the threaded hole you can just barely see at the top of the tool rest boss is where the T handle tightening clamp (part #122 in the Delta parts diagram) screws in. You have the same thing in your picture. Much appreciate your assistance.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

TomCT2-- Part II
For clarification, You have a Base (which sits directly on the bed). Into that is an offset base. And into that is the tool rest. I dont have the offset base. I only have the base that rests directly on the bed, and into that is inserted the tool rest. My photo is of the odd shaped hole in the "base", and that is what I am wondering if it may be missing a sleeve or something. Or maybe the tool rest shaft has a sleeve? Your pictures should clear things up and allow me to sleep at night again. :-)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 AM

that pix I pulled off the internet -

see
https://www.renovoparts.com/46-430-o...ol-reset-base/

looks to be the missing part.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-31-2020, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Dang. I thought you had the exact same lathe as mine. The link you provided is for an offset base. I am just trying to figure out why Rockwell cast such a complicated hole in the tool rest base instead of just making it round to match the stub shaft from the tool rest that goes in the hole. Usually a hole with flats like in my picture is for locating whatever goes in the hole, to keep it in a specific position and to keep it from turning. I still think I have mismatched parts or something is missing. Thanks for your effort.
I did manage to get the cabinet and internal parts sprayed during a day without wind or rain, so I am one step closer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1053.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	390479  

Name:	IMG_1054.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	390481  

post #8 of 14 Old 05-31-2020, 02:24 PM

the 'hole' in the banjo is "obviously" aimed at preventing unwanted rotation much more effectively than a side screw.
perhaps one of the vintage machinery site has a catalog of accessories that may prove informative about the odd bore configuration?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I disagree with your assessment. A hole in the toolrest base that has 2 internal flats does not provide any better hold on the round tool post shaft than a simple round hole. Actually a round hole would have more contact area. It's not a show stopper. If nobody else chimes in, then i'll reach out in other directions for someone who has a similar lathe. Thanks again.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-03-2020, 12:02 PM

perhaps when you find out what attachments were available you'll find the post isn't round.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-03-2020, 12:23 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i have a 60s rockwell homecraft lathe with similar tool rests. homecraft was rockwell's consumer brand. as far as i know that is all you get, with the tool rest on centerline the shank is barely in the holder. i think the V is to prevent slipping or rocking. i've never had one move
post #12 of 14 Old 06-06-2020, 03:12 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I had a Delta wood lathe a little older then the one Tom posted but it had a tool rest that looked just like the one you posted and that was the one it came with, guess the v notch allows smaller diameter tool posts as someone had posted

There is no app for experience
post #13 of 14 Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
meant to take this the other day. same V locator. i'll assume a round hole would wobble, as the threaded lock would only push back into the hole and have 2 points of contact. the V would have 3 points of contact and have less tendency for wobble

two tool rests are shown as i was set up for turning bowls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	output.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	390711  

Catpower likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-21-2020, 05:47 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i'll assume a round hole would wobble, as the threaded lock would only push back into the hole and have 2 points of contact. the V would have 3 points of contact and have less tendency for wobble
Speaking as a retired tool room machinist of forty years. You are exactly correct.

Tags
46-450, rockwell, tool rest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode