Rock oak burl goblet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
Rock oak burl goblet

I dropped 2 rock oaks that were dead due to the gypsy moths that destroyed my hunting grounds. This is one of the most figured burls i have worked with and it was FREE..!! there are quite a few burls up there that i am going to get! i hope they turn out as figured as this one!!
cutting that ring out was a challenge for me because this was my first one!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
beautiful wood, nicely turned

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

i was really surprised when i turned this one! whats nice is i have a boat load of this wood. the hardest part of turning this piece was the ring! but now i know and the rest should g a lot smoother, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Really sweet project!

Harrison, at your service!
post #5 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
That is some wild wood and a nice lookin' goblet.

Tim
post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Brokedown,
I can't believe that's oak. Very pretty wood. Never heard of a rock oak before. What area are you in? The goblet looks nice, however the ring looks a bit big for it. Just my .02. Let's see some more....
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
That is incredible. That is some pretty cool wood. I've never seen anything like that before. Beatiful job on the goblet.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #8 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Like your pepper mill, beautiful wood. What did you cut the captive ring with? A captive ring tool or something else? Any tips to share regarding that? You get enough of these burls you can make a whole dinner table setting.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
That is incredible. That is some pretty cool wood. I've never seen anything like that before. Beatiful job on the goblet.
I live on the eastern side of pa. I may have a redneck term for that wood but i am almost positive it is called a ROCK OAK. without the burl it has a unique grain different from any other oak tree. a lot darker...!!
I agree also that the ring is a little too big for the goblet and also the base is too small. Thats what i love about woodworking, you never know what you are going to get under the bark, and you never stop learning new ways of making wood working better. I have a lot of this wood and i am sure i can find some more. i know where there are about 15- 20 burls some oak, some red maple, some cherry. i even think there may be some birch burl. I don't know which i enjoy more harvesting the wood or turning it!! I am going to fell a couple of rock oak trees just to see what they may look like without the burl!!
post #10 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Like your pepper mill, beautiful wood. What did you cut the captive ring with? A captive ring tool or something else? Any tips to share regarding that? You get enough of these burls you can make a whole dinner table setting.
Thanks, I actually took a screw driver and took it to the grinder to make a tool. It didn't work out just as planned, but i will fine tune it. it left me with a lot of filing and sanding. both the rock oak and the red oak came from the same property. I need to make the o ring cut off tool at a more of an angle but you live and you learn. sanding that ring was a pain in the you know what!!!!! so i need to make one that works real well and i think i can get some steel for free from my buddy to tinker around with!!!
that would be cool to turn an entire dinner table set out of something that came from the land i have hunted for so many years
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown down View Post
Thanks, I actually took a screw driver and took it to the grinder to make a tool. It didn't work out just as planned, but i will fine tune it. it left me with a lot of filing and sanding. both the rock oak and the red oak came from the same property. I need to make the o ring cut off tool at a more of an angle but you live and you learn. sanding that ring was a pain in the you know what!!!!! so i need to make one that works real well and i think i can get some steel for free from my buddy to tinker around with!!!
that would be cool to turn an entire dinner table set out of something that came from the land i have hunted for so many years
Made your own! Cooler still! That would be cool. A slippery slope. Turn the dishes, cups, glasses, goblets, better mill some trees for a table, chairs, need a hutch to store it in...trivets...oh boy.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Brokedown,
I can't believe that's oak. Very pretty wood. Never heard of a rock oak before. What area are you in? The goblet looks nice, however the ring looks a bit big for it. Just my .02. Let's see some more....
Mike Hawkins
yea i knew i had a redneck term for that wood! lol The species is called Chestnut oak, but up here we call it Rock Oak. I hope there are a lot more i can drop. There is a red oak i believe up there that is about 3-4 feet, only problem is it is on the joining property! this property is loaded with burls.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
BD,
Sounds like you have a gold mine there. I made a ring tool out of an allen wrench. When I do the captive rings, I cut a bead with a detail gouge and cut most of the ring, as far as the tool will reach. Then I sand that part before cutting it loose. The small end of the allen head is ground to a point with a flat on top. I can reach in from both sides and cut the last little bit that's holding the ring on. If you make your ring so it isn't that much bigger than the part you cut it away from, you can wrap a piece of sandpaper around the stem. Tape one end of it so it stays on, then start up the lathe and hold the ring with your fingers and rotate the inside of the ring against the spinning sandpaper. You can get most of your sanding dont that way and eliminate doing it by hand.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode