Rigid 1/2 hp wood lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

View panhandler's Photo Album My Photos
Rigid 1/2 hp wood lathe

Hi! I am relatively new to wood working. To this point, the extent of my experience is a doll house for my girls, simple shelves, and some odds and ends repairs.

I have been interested in wood turning for quite some time, but have wanted to ease into the craft. I have been looking for a relatively inexpensive lathe and tool set to get my feet wet and ran across a Ridgid 1/2 hp wood lathe on CL for $150.00. It looks to be lightly used and I will get a chance to look at it next week. Is $150 a good buy and is this a good entry level lathe to turn small bowl, pens, and small handles?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I would not consider the rigid lathe a good lathe. The round bed lathes have all had problems with alignment. However they aren't terrible and for $150 will get you started and you can learn quite a bit. Just be aware that somewhere down the line you will want a better lathe. On the plus side a lot of what you purchase to use that lathe, tools, grinder, sharpening jigs, chucks etc, will be useful on the next lathe so it lets you ease into the world of turning without a major expense.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM

View TonyBal's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with John. I think that this is what you looking at. It might be OK for the money, BUT I don't like the single rail mounting system. It is also mounted on what looks like MDF thats attached to thin metal legs. I can see this not lining up & vibrating due to the lack of cast iron. It probably won't matter turning pens & small stuff like that, but turning something larger with bulk might be a different story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WL1200.jpg
Views:	18999
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24834  

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lou Holtz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM

View TonyBal's Photo Album My Photos
Check out this one. For under $200 it has a lot of nice features. Just my $ 0.02. Good luck, have fun, & be sure to wear a full face mask while turning!!!
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...the-65345.html
Attached Images

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lou Holtz
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
The Ridged has 3/4-16 spindle threads and is #1 MT so you will be very limited on accessories that are available.
I think you would be better off holding out for something with 1-8 spindle threads and #2 MT even if you had to spend a few bucks more.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i had a craftsman lathe similar to this one and yea i didnt like it much but i did buy a chuck from penn state that came with an adaptor from 3/4" 16 to 1" 8 tpi so if you chose to buy this lathe you can get an adaptor to solve that issue
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a HF store near you look at this entry lathe. They go on sale all the time, not sure, how coupons work anymore but people still use them even on sale items.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

Yes, have to add weight to the stand, and get the extended warranty for few dollars more.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM

View longbeard's Photo Album My Photos
I'd have to agree with tonybal and wildwood
that lathe from harbor freight looks like a jet 1014 for half the $$$
and any #2 Morse Taper accessories will fit
post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM

View Wooduse's Photo Album My Photos
I have only been turning for about a year. When I was looking for a lathe, I didn't want to break the bank either. So, I finally found a lathe that I thought would be good for me and what I wanted to do. I was only interested in turning bowls and vessels. I purchased a Grizzly 1642(16" swing and 42"bedway). It has been all I needed in a lathe. I paid $525 for it. I bought a set of high speed tools, a scroll chuck, and later bought an Ellsworth bowl gouge. I have about $750 total in the whole outfit. I have enjoyed turning more than anything I have ever done. Good luck! I hope this helps a little and have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode